Prologue

"I can't believe we got Will back." Dustin mumbles in the passenger side of Steve's BMW as the two sit parked outside a convenience store.

Dustin was really craving some candy, he informed Steve of the fact the second he was picked up from the school.

"Please, I really need it."

"You really need it?" Steve narrows his eyes, "you don't really need all that sugar."

"Brain fuel."

"For what?" Steve scoffs, "your kindergarten homework?"

"No, dingus." Dustin rolled his eyes, "I'm in middle school, remember."

With that, Steve pulled off the road to the nearest stop, and bought him some candy.

He wanted to be reluctant to do so, but something about the kid softened Steve's heart. Despite what everyone thought of him, he was a good guy.

Sure, there was the time he put his friend's girlfriend on blast for cheating. Carol the Slut Perkins, if you will.

Although, Dustin had told him previously that "she totally deserved that."

All of the bad things he had ever done, he rationalized in one way or another. That stunt was for Tommy, his best friend. He gave Jonathan Byers a rough freshman year, but that was because the two used to be close in middle school, before Jonathan got all distant and weird.

Steve knew his reaction was wrong, but it hurt him to be abandoned like that.

"I'm sorry I didn't help you guys out." Steve apologizes sincerely, "with all of that, demon shit."

"The demagorgan is more of a monster." Dustin shrugs, munching on his candy bar.

As the two of them chat, a Chevy pulls into the parking spot a few spaces away from them. The muffler not so muffled, and non other than Billy Hargrove in the driver's seat.

"...they're not really demons, because-"

"Shh!" Steve cuts him off, looking past him to try and catch a better view of what was going on out there.

"Hey, man!" Dustin exclaims, before also turning his head to the scene outside the car.

Y/n Hopper, the daughter of the sheriff of Hawkins gracefully exits the truck, her hair dancing in the breeze and a smile that really reaches her eyes stretched from ear to ear.

If you looked close enough, you could even see the cute little freckles on her face.

Steve couldn't rip his eyes from her figure as she waltzes over to Billy's side of the car, interlocking her hand with his as he offers it to her.

He couldn't help but wonder what a girl as amazing as her, was doing with a guy as shitty as him.

"Oh! That's Y/n." Dustins face lights up, immediately recognizing a member of their party.

"Yeah." Steve is smiling as he takes in her beauty, and Dustin notices, narrowing his eyes before he realizes what's going on.

"Oh man." He laughs, "you want to talk to her."

"W-what?" Steve is flustered, the blush noticeable on his face, "no, Steve Harrington does not develop crushes on people."

"I never said anything about crushes." Dustin's shit-eating grin is comedic, as Steve struggles to find a response, "you gave yourself up."

"Alright, fine! I guess I might like her... a little." He throws his arms into the air in defeat, before pointing harshly at Dustin, "you tell her about this, and you're dead."