XI

xi - disaster.

9th of June, 2023, somewhere in the sky, USA

-2:40am-

THE misery of flights was not something Gracie could ever get used to. It didn't matter how luxurious Taylor's jets were, the space was not Gracie's problem. Gracie's problem was knowing the threat of falling forty-two thousand feet to imminent death looming over her head at all times. Ironic, right? Considering touring came with the job description of what she does. The night flights were slightly less miserable since she could sleep through them, though sleep was an elusive friend to Gracie in recent days.

Gracie stared out of the window at the dark sky, the clouds had been light that day. She swore she could even see some of the lights of Detroit as the plane neared it. Gracie had still yet to tell Taylor that she wouldn't be staying for her show tonight. Gracie had still yet to know that one of her computer files was hacked and the entirety of 'Amelie' was leaked. Aaron had only finished the final touches an hour before Gracie left for the airport.

9th of June, 2023, Chicago

-8:02am-

If there was one thing Pippa hated more than closing shift, it was opening shift. The citizens of Chicago were definitely the most agitated in the morning, all simply looking to get their caffeine fix before a grueling day of work that lay ahead. They did not respond well to Pippa's attempts at small talk to seem 'nice'. Especially not on a Friday morning.

It didn't help that Minnie had taken the morning off, since her parents had sent her some 'pocket money' so she didn't have to work to make rent this month. Minnie's privilege sometimes irritated Pippa. Though, she admired the fact that her best friend was still a hard worker despite her background, and acknowledged the fact that maybe Minnie did deserve a break.

But Pippa did too, it's just - no one would be paying her rent if she didn't work.

The morning had thrown multiple shots at Pippa, both figuratively and literally. An asshole in a suit decided to throw his takeaway espresso at Pippa because he asked for a double shot - which was what Pippa served him - and his coffee tasted 'too weak'. The liquid had soiled her uniform and minorly burnt her skin. Even then, Pippa didn't have the energy to get angry with him, she simply went to the back of the cafe to grab a new apron.

All her anger had been reserved for someone else, as of late.

As if on cue to distract her from her thoughts, her phone screen lit up with a text from Minnie. Pippa raised an eyebrow, confused why her best friend would be texting her when Minnie knew she was in the middle of a shift, and a shitty one at that. She didn't need any other distractions.

 She didn't need any other distractions

Pippa decided to ignore it. After all, she could see more people making their way into the shop from the window and she really did not want to get fired for slacking off on the job. Pippa failed to notice that across the street, there were people taking photos of her through said window.