2️⃣

20th May 2019, part one

Ben walked over to the car lot, seeing Jay looking through a car window...

"Ah, Dr. Death, local scare off the punters." Ben said.

"Yeah, funny. These are legit, aren't they?" Asked Jay.

"Mate." Ben muttered.

"Well, I couldn't find the log books." Jay says.

"Ah, I... I knew I forgot. I must have left them at home. It's all right. I'll pick them up on the way to the auction." Ben says.

"What auction?" Asked Jay.

"Speculate to accumulate." Ben said.

"Yeah, well, I've got a meeting with Karen. I've got two corpses that need dressing and a victor on the warpath." Jay tells Ben.

Callum walked over to Ben and Jay.

"Last week you were moaning; we didn't have any motors." Said Ben.

"I don't suppose the new management is looking for new staff?" Asked Callum.

Jay and Ben stared at Callum.

"Not for me. Nina. She's looking for a new job." Callum said.

"I thought she wanted to serve the queen and country." Jay says.

"It didn't quite work out. It ain't like I can punish her, though. Come on, Jay, the punters love her. Really good at promotions." Callum said.

"All right. Well, tell her to come over to the parlour at lunchtime for a chat then."

"Thanks, Jay, I will

"Thanks, Jay, I will." Callum murmured, turning around and walking away.

Ben stared at Callum's back.

Nina and Callum were sitting in the cafe...

"What would you say to a job with decent hours and no commute with." Callum murmured.

"Where?" Nina asked, frowning softly.

"The car lot. I just got you an interview. Look, I know it ain't like being with your army mates, but Ben and Jay will be a laugh to work with." Callum said.

"I don't know anything about cars." Nina said.

Rainie was sitting at a table, looking over at Nina and Callum.

"Come on, you'd be great. Oi. With your commission and my wages, we can actually think about getting a proper place of our own." Said Callum.

Nina stared at Callum, smiling softly, and Callum smiled back at Nina widely.

Nina was standing outside the funeral parlour, and a woman tried opening the door...

"Oh, I'm... I'm sure Jay, uh, Mr. Brown won't be that long." Nina says.

"I brought my husband's suit. One of his best."

"Very nice suit." Nina said.

"It's the one we got married in."

She started crying, dropping the suit on the floor, and Nina looked around, bending down and picking up the suit.

"Um, would you like a cup of tea?" Asked Nina.

She looked at Nina, nodding her head, and Nina smiled.

"I'm sorry."

"It's okay." Nina whispered, placing her arm in the old woman's arm.

20th May 2019, part two...

Nina and the old woman sat at a table in the cafe, and Nina got them both a cup of tea and a piece of cake...

"Sid said it was fate that ran him over. If the hospital hadn't checked him out, we'd never known about the tumour."

Jay entered the cafe, seeing Nina and the woman sitting at a table.

"It gave us time to do all the things we said we were going to do together. He was my best friend."

Nina smiled, going into her bag and taking out a pen, and Jay stood there, staring at Nina.

Nina grabbed a napkin, drawing a circle, and Jay tried looking at what Nina was drawing.

"This is your pain that'll never go away. This..." Nina murmured, drawing a bigger circle. "This is the rest of your life. See, pain doesn't get any smaller, but the things around you get bigger."

"I am 83."

"Well, that's 17 years till you get a telegram from the Queen." Said Nina.

Jay smiled, and the old woman reached over squeezing Nina's hand.

"My Sid would have liked you."

Nina chuckled lightly

Later, Jay, Nina, and the woman stood outside the parlour, saying goodbye...

"Thanks."

She touched Nina's chest, turning around and walking away.

"Bye-bye." Said Jay.

The woman waved.

"This..." Jay mumbled, taking out the napkin from his suit jacket and showing it to Nina. "This is genius."

Nina smiled, shrugging her shoulders.

"How did it go?" Callum asked, walking over to Jay and Nina.

"Your woman has a natural talent." Jay said.

"Do I?" Asked Nina.

"Yeah. She talked Mrs. Duck right into the Platinum package, right for the price of a cup of tea and a slice of cake. You just netted us two grand here, mate." Jay says, putting his hand on Nina's shoulder.

"She's got the job, then?" Asked Callum.

"Yes. Smashed it." Jay tells them.

Callum laughed, hugging Nina, and Nina signed lowly, wrapping her arms around Callum.

"I'm so proud of you. What are you talking about? It's one step closer to getting a place of our own." Callum says.

"So start tomorrow?" Asked Jay.

"Um, might need a little notice, but I could squeeze in a few hours. Learn the ropes." Nina said.

"Yeah. All right, I'll organise a bit of training on the technical side." Jay says.

"I don't really know that much about cars." Nina mumbled.

"Cars?" Jay asked, staring at Nina and furrowing his brows. "Mate, I thought you'd be better used in the parlour."

"Oh." Nina muttered.

"You'd be wasted out on the lot. The way you've just dealt with Mrs. Duck, you've got a gift. Listen, it ain't a laugh a minute, and the secret sensors are not all that, but it's well paid and recession-proof, and listen, you two want your own place, yeah? Well, I can get you a deal with Pam and Les about the place upstairs." Jay tells Nina.

"Oh, babe, you don't have to, but I just think this is gonna be the start of something." Callum says.

Nina stared at Jay, then Nina held out her hand.

"Yes?" Asked Jay.

"Yeah." Nina says.

Jay shakes Nina's hand, and Callum laughed.

Nina and Jay hugged.