sia, under the veil of midnight

CHAPTER SIX
under the veil of midnight

                           𖦹 ⋆。˚⋆ฺ ⋆。˚⋆ฺ˚⋆˚ 𖦹

  REMUS DOES IN FACT HAVE TO SLEEP on the couch.

   Although he's unfathomably grateful for Aaron Henderson's hostility— er, hospitality, Remus thinks that he'd be able to list about a dozen other places that he'd rather be sleeping, wincing slightly as the firm arm-rest pokes against his nape. A quiet curse escapes his mouth when he manages to readjust his head into a comfortable position at long last, now peering out across the living room as his insomnia sparks sudden curiosity.

  His eyes are immediately drawn to the framed baby pictures of Cove lined up on the mantelpiece, sprawled haphazardly and accumulating a thin layer of dust. He can't help the little snort he lets out at the gallery of sorts that they have going on. Every photograph illustrates her endearing evolution the earliest ones springing from soft cerulean blankets and bundles to more recent ones that depict violet bruises on her knees, unruly tangles in her curls and a familiar grin full of wobbly teeth. She's so endearing, it's beginning to make his heart ache.

Moonlight pours in through the thin gap in the curtains, casting shadow puppets from the mismatched furniture sprawled around the room. Pip snores on the fuzzy rug next to him, claws digging into the sheepskin as she chases something imaginary in her feline dreams. His worn book is discarded limply across his middle, rustling with the steady rise and fall of his breathing. Disgruntled with his position, he begins to shuffle himself around again until he finds himself curled up like a dozing cat on the scratchy knitted blanket, his neck craning and long legs crooked to cram himself onto the limited expanse of the cushions.

It soon becomes clear that this was total mistake on his behalf. The book thuds to the floor, his heart leaping into his throat at the loud, disruptive sound it makes against the hardwood. He mentally curses himself. Remus holds his breath and strains his ears to listen out in case it woke anyone up, petrified that Aaron would crucify him for interrupting his beauty sleep.

He jumps at the creaking floorboards in the hall, whipping his head around and coming face to face with an apologetic looking Cove. She raises two mugs as a peace offering.

"Hi," she says softly, her sweet smile making him feel lightheaded. "Sorry if I scared you."

   He offers a lopsided grin. "Oh, don't worry," he whispers back. "I'm sure I'll live."

  She pauses, huffing a laugh under her breath and eyeing the book on the floor. Her eyes appear to go unfocused when they return to his own, darting all around his face and sloping over his imperfections with a glint of something indescribable twinkling in her irises. Remus squirms slightly under all the sudden attention, scratching at the back of his neck as if it'll get rid of the flush creeping up his skin. She snaps back to reality, clearing her throat and stepping forward.

  "I, um, brought you some tea," she whispers, handing him a mug that he gratefully accepts. "Decaf, mind. Didn't want to keep you up all night."

"Don't worry, lovely," he murmurs, rubbing at his eyes. "I probably wouldn't have gotten back to sleep, anyways."

   He shuffles to sit upright on the couch, giving her room to melt into his side. Cove's head rests comfortably in the crook of his neck, falling into place as if they're two perfect pieces of a jigsaw puzzle being slotted together. She takes a tentative sip of her tea thats followed by a scrunched up expression of regret and a quiet exclamation, a hand poised to cover her mouth.