Wrong place, even wronger time

"Cease your pursuit, Mayfield." Jane emitted a low, sharp sound of disapproval as Max began following closely behind her as they moved along the lofty corridors. The smaller girl sensed the imposing presence of the bigger girl behind her, but she just felt irritation. She increased her speed, aiming to distance herself from Max; however, she could discern the unwavering sound of footfall drawing nearer. Finally, unable to endure it any longer, Jane whirled around to confront her pursuer. "What are your expectations of me?" she screamed, her exasperation reaching its boiling point. Max maintained a resolute look; however, her eyes revealed an enigmatic gleam.

"Are you angry about the kiss?" Jane's heart palpitated at hearing about the kiss. Despite her efforts to erase the memory, it was evident that Max had not yet let go of that particular moment. She had a sensation of her cheeks becoming red with shame while making an effort to remain composed. "That was a mistake," Jane answered, her voice shaking slightly. Max's look softened somewhat, and she took a step closer. "It wasn't a mistake for me," she said gently, her eyes connecting with Jane's.

Jane clicked her tongue, keeping her gaze dangerously chilly, staring into the soul the fire girl had. "You need to forget about it, Max," Jane replied firmly, attempting to keep her emotions in control. Max stretched out and softly caressed Jane's arm, her touch quivering on her icy flesh. "I can't forget about it," Max said, her voice filled with desire. Jane took a step back, attempting to establish some space between them. "We can't go back to that," Jane continued, her tone begging. Max's eyes flooded with grief, but she swallowed hard in understanding. "I know. But I can't pretend that didn't happen," Max remarked, her eyes welling up slightly as she stared down at the girl. "You felt it too. I know you did."

Jane shook her head.

"You were furious, and I was just irritating you. There's no... feeling between me and you."

Max's lips slid from that lovely grin into a severe frown. She bit her inner cheeks and stiffened her gaze, peering down at Jane with all of the anger her spirit could summon up. "Of course. Why would it be otherwise?" She spits it out, hate oozing from her tone. "I should have known better than to think you could ever feel anything for a nerd like me," Max said, her voice laced with anger. She couldn't prevent the irritated tears in her eyes, so she tightened her teeth and marched past Jane, her footsteps ringing through the younger girl's ears. They were heavy and noisy, and there was a hint that the two of them would not be talking anytime soon.

Jane just stood there, staring at her back, until she disappeared in the first corner.

"You're weird, Mayfield."

And with that, she slid her backpack over her shoulder and reached for the entry to leave this hell of a building they called high school.

୨ৎ

Max sobbed quietly, biting on her knuckles to try and muffle some whines. Her eyes were already puffy from crying, crying so uselessly after someone who wouldn't even look at her like a real person. She went into the bathroom and washed her face with cold water, wiping her eyelids with her thumbs, and taking small breaths to try and stop sniffling so much. As she looked at her reflection in the mirror, Max knew she had to pull herself together.

But she wasn't brave.

She was just that nerd that everyone made fun of, and apparently, she was the one Jane had chosen from the start to annoy and tear apart. She took her eyeglasses off and washed her lenses, batting her eyelashes slightly.

Every student went home, and she was the only imbecile left in this building.

With a sigh, she turned on her heel, biting her inner cheeks and sliding her backpack over one shoulder. She felt awkward walking into the halls all alone.