Sick days, passed time.

Abitha winced in agony and closed her eyes, coughing loudly, unable to even muster the energy to move. With a dry swallow, she rested her arm over her forehead and groaned softly when Ilaria knocked on the door and brought in some hot tea and a little piece of bread smeared with jam.

Ilaria's grief distorts her blue eyes. They closed, exhausted, and did their best to reassure her in any manner they could at the time. She sat with her knees up on the bed and pressed the back of her hand against her flushed cheeks.

"It hasn't gone down at all." Gently, she muttered, then placed the dish on her lap. "Can you raise yourself?" With all the force she had, Abitha shook her head and pursed her lips sheepishly. With one hand under Abitha's back and the other supporting her arm, Ilaria was able to lift her up into a sitting posture.

Ilaria glanced aside when the girl sneezed, knowing that she would do it again. Ilaria picked up the cup and held it up to her quivering lips. "Drink." She murmured, and Abitha took a careful drink of the steaming tea, her throat constricted around the hot beverage.

Ilaria reached over to the dish on her lap, pulled a slice of bread, and carefully pressed it into the girl's mouth. Even though Abitha's head was hurting, she was still able to gnaw. Her throat was red and certainly irritated; she could hardly swallow.

In order to make things easy for herself, Ilaria took the time to cut the bread into little pieces. After giving her a nibble, she forced her to take a drink of the steaming tea.

Following her meal, Ilaria laid Abitha on her back and returned a moment later with a cold compress, which she wrapped over her forehead in an attempt to bring down her temperature.

They had no medication on hand, and as they were fugitives, they would be put to death if the kingdom found out.

With pursed lips, Ilaria saw that Abitha had slept off. She pulled the cover up to her pale shoulders and gave her weak knuckles a little kiss.

Abitha had been ill. She lost so much weight so quickly that her immunity began to decline, like a rock falling into the sea.

As Ilaria came out of her room, she saw Seterra in the kitchen, preparing a soup of some kind using an animal that she had been hunting down.

God, Ilaria was so exhausted that she was no longer even able to stand. She sagged onto a chair and peered at Seterra's broad back, listening to her softly hum a tune, her hair arranged in an untidy bun, and her brown curls nestled behind her angular ears.

Unaware of her presence, Seterra turned to face the door and gave a little start as she caught a glimpse of Ilaria's blonde hair out of the corner of her eye.

With a deep laugh, Ilaria's blue eyes glistened with pure joy, her red lips curled into a kind smile, and her fangs showed through.

"You scared me!"

Shrugging, Ilaria crossed her arms and watched as the younger woman came to a halt in front of her, going around the table. Seterra's lips quivered a little, and her brown eyes glowed with doubt.

"Why are you ignoring me?"

Seated somewhat more erect than her closest friend, Ilaria gently took her hands and pushed her lips together. She brought her right hand to her lips and carefully pressed her lips to her ring finger while placing her thumbs on the backs of her palms.

"Forgive me." Her voice was raspy, causing Seterra's cheeks to flush crimson. "Forgive me, dear." She put her hands on her shoulder and let out a low, silent sigh. "I apologize. Over the last three days, I've been insane." With every harsh pulse that echoed in her ears, her blue eyes swept across the throbbing vein in her neck, straining. Leaning forward a little, she courageously but reluctantly ran her tongue over her Adam's apple, feeling the younger woman's breath tremble.