Chapter 4: Air Pressure and Wind

Air pressure and wind are essential components of weather, influenced by temperature differences and the Earth's rotation. Air pressure is the force exerted by the weight of air above a given point, measured in millibars (mb) or inches of mercury (inHg). It varies with altitude, temperature, and humidity. High-pressure systems typically bring clear, calm weather, while low-pressure systems are associated with clouds, wind, and precipitation.

Wind is the horizontal movement of air from areas of high pressure to areas of low pressure. The greater the difference in pressure, the stronger the wind. The Earth's rotation affects wind direction through the Coriolis effect, causing winds to deflect to the right in the Northern Hemisphere and to the left in the Southern Hemisphere. This deflection influences global wind patterns, such as trade winds, westerlies, and polar easterlies, which play a crucial role in shaping weather systems.

Local wind patterns are also influenced by geographical features. Sea breezes occur along coastlines due to temperature differences between land and sea, with cool air moving inland during the day and warm air moving out to sea at night. Mountain and valley breezes occur in mountainous regions, where cool air flows down slopes at night and warm air rises during the day. Understanding air pressure and wind is vital for predicting weather changes and preparing for extreme events.