Chapter 5: The Water Cycle

The water cycle is a continuous process involving evaporation, condensation, and precipitation, crucial for weather phenomena. Water evaporates from surfaces like oceans, lakes, and rivers, turning into water vapor and rising into the atmosphere. Plants also contribute through transpiration, where water is released from leaves into the air. This water vapor then cools and condenses into tiny droplets, forming clouds.

Clouds are masses of water droplets or ice crystals suspended in the atmosphere. When these droplets combine and grow large enough, they fall as precipitation in the form of rain, snow, sleet, or hail, depending on the temperature and atmospheric conditions. Precipitation is a vital part of the water cycle, redistributing water from the atmosphere back to the Earth's surface, replenishing freshwater supplies and supporting ecosystems.

After precipitation, water collects in bodies of water, such as rivers, lakes, and oceans, where it can be stored for varying periods before evaporating again. Some water infiltrates the ground, replenishing groundwater supplies that plants and animals depend on. The water cycle is essential for maintaining life on Earth, influencing weather patterns, and regulating the climate. Understanding this cycle helps in managing water resources and predicting weather changes.