Chapter 7: Precipitation

Precipitation occurs when condensed water vapor in clouds becomes too heavy and falls to the ground. It is a critical component of the water cycle, influencing the distribution of water on Earth and supporting various ecosystems. Rain is the most common form of precipitation, occurring when water droplets combine and grow large enough to overcome air resistance and gravity.

Snow forms when temperatures are low enough for water vapor to condense directly into ice crystals, which then combine to form snowflakes. Sleet occurs when raindrops freeze into ice pellets before reaching the ground, typically during winter storms. Hail forms in strong thunderstorms with intense updrafts, where water droplets are carried upward into freezing regions of the cloud, accumulating layers of ice before falling to the ground.

Each type of precipitation has distinct impacts on the environment and human activities. Rain replenishes freshwater supplies and supports agriculture, while snow provides insulation for plants and animals during winter. Sleet and hail can cause significant damage to crops, vehicles, and infrastructure. Understanding the different forms of precipitation and their formation processes helps meteorologists predict weather patterns and prepare for potential impacts.