Chapter 10: Tornadoes

Tornadoes are violently rotating columns of air in contact with both the ground and a cloud base, capable of causing significant damage. They form from severe thunderstorms when changes in wind direction and speed create a horizontal spinning effect. This rotation is then tilted vertically by strong updrafts within the storm, leading to the formation of a tornado.

Tornadoes vary in size, intensity, and duration. They are classified using the Enhanced Fujita (EF) scale, which ranges from EF0 (weakest) to EF5 (strongest), based on the damage they cause. EF0 tornadoes have wind speeds of 65-85 mph, causing minor damage, while EF5 tornadoes have wind speeds exceeding 200 mph, causing catastrophic destruction. Tornadoes can destroy buildings, uproot trees, and hurl debris, posing significant risks to life and property.

Tornadoes are most common in regions with flat terrain, such as the central United States, known as Tornado Alley. However, they can occur anywhere under the right conditions. Tornado warnings and preparedness measures are crucial for minimizing their impacts. Advances in radar technology and meteorological research have improved tornado detection and forecasting, helping communities take timely action to protect lives and property.