Chapter 12: Snow and Ice Storms (NOT your ex girlfriend)

Snow and ice storms occur in cold conditions and can severely impact transportation and daily life. Snowstorms bring heavy snowfall, reducing visibility and making travel hazardous. Snow forms when temperatures are low enough for water vapor to condense directly into ice crystals, which then combine to form snowflakes. Accumulated snow can disrupt transportation, damage infrastructure, and pose risks to health and safety.

Blizzards are severe snowstorms characterized by strong winds and low visibility, often resulting in whiteout conditions. Winds exceeding 35 mph and visibility reduced to less than a quarter-mile for three hours or more define a blizzard. These conditions can lead to dangerous travel, power outages, and extreme cold exposure risks. Blizzards often occur in regions with flat terrain, where strong winds can easily blow snow.

Ice storms occur when rain freezes on surfaces, creating a coating of ice that can be hazardous. Freezing rain forms when warm air aloft melts falling snow into rain, which then refreezes upon contact with the cold ground. Ice accumulation can weigh down tree branches and power lines, causing widespread power outages and damage. Ice-covered roads and sidewalks become extremely slippery, increasing the risk of accidents. Understanding the formation and impact of snow and ice storms helps in preparing and responding to these winter weather events. Probably explains why this ISN'T your ex-girlfriend.