Chapter 11: Hurricanes

Hurricanes are powerful tropical storms with strong winds and heavy rain, forming over warm ocean waters. They consist of a central eye, surrounded by an eyewall of intense thunderstorms, and spiral rainbands extending outward. The eye is a calm, clear area, while the eyewall contains the storm's most severe weather. Hurricanes can cause catastrophic damage through high winds, heavy rainfall, and storm surges.

Hurricanes form in tropical regions where sea surface temperatures are above 26.5°C (80°F). Warm, moist air rises from the ocean surface, creating low pressure and drawing in more air. As the air rises and cools, it condenses into clouds and releases latent heat, fueling the storm. The Coriolis effect causes the storm to spin, and as it grows, it can develop into a hurricane with wind speeds exceeding 74 mph.

Hurricanes are categorized by wind speed on the Saffir-Simpson scale, ranging from Category 1 (weakest) to Category 5 (strongest). Category 1 hurricanes have wind speeds of 74-95 mph, causing minor damage, while Category 5 hurricanes have wind speeds exceeding 157 mph, causing devastating damage. Preparedness and early warning systems are crucial for minimizing the impacts of hurricanes, which can include flooding, structural damage, and loss of life.