This Wish

"You are our Queen; your word is the law." Simon's father's voice was stern, and Asha clutched Valentino even closer in the darkness. "Order Simon to return to his studies and put an end to this nonsense!"

"I cannot command Simon to serve me," The careful tenderness was evident in Queen Amaya's reproach. "That's not the kind of kingdom I've built. Simon may have made a decent star charter one day, but that simply isn't the path he's chosen."

Simon's mother chimed in. "He only wants to quit because the work is difficult. Simon always was a lazy child. He will become better; he only needs more time. We will increase his book loads and teach him around the clock. With that and more lessons with you, Simon will catch up with others!"

"It's no use, this isn't the life Simon wants."

"Simon doesn't know what he wants!" his father snapped. "He's barely a man, and he only just gave you his wish last winter. How could he decide in one season to change the entire course of his life!"

Another voice, deep and militant, intervened.

"Enough! You will respect the Queen of Rosas!"

"Leopold!" Asha gasped as Queen Amaya reprimanded the King. "My subjects may speak freely, and I have promised always to hear them. That said, Simon is the only voice I will heed regarding his life and his future. I am sorry if that hurts you, and I hope that you will both understand. But the wish has been granted, and I have no intention of undoing anything."

A stony silence made Asha's skin grow cold, and even Valentino seemed to feel the shocking shift as he nuzzled his head in Asha's shoulder.

"If that is your decision, we will not stand by to watch him crumble," Simon's father stated with a huff. "My wife and I ask to leave your service. We shall speak to Simon, gather our belongings, and leave Rosas as a family immediately to seek a kingdom that appreciates our talents."

"Rosas isn't a prison. If you both want to go, I can't stop you," Queen Amaya said slowly. "But I won't allow you to drag Simon out of this palace if he doesn't desire it. The guards won't allow it, they've already come to love him. Simon will always have a home here, and he will always have love here."

"We intend to leave in the morning," Simon's father insisted.

"My guard and I will see you off." Queen Amaya said with equal resolve. Asha didn't dare move as she heard hard footsteps marching across the marble. Her mind whirred with different thoughts ranging from anger to sadness, but more than anything guilt. Queen Amaya always taught that wishes could foster many emotions; but a guilt that makes your heart heavy with regret? And pity for a friend? She never imagined her research would lead her to this den of shadows.

"King Leopold, I'm sorry you had to see that," Asha's ears perked up as Queen Amaya spoke again. "Wish ceremonies are often nights of high emotion."

"I'm only sorry I couldn't do more to help."

"There's nothing to be done. I only wish I could make them understand!"

"Amaya, you are their Queen, you must do what is right for everyone in your kingdom. I admire your strength." A short moment of quiet passed between them, and Asha couldn't contain herself any longer. She stole a peek from behind the grand staircase, catching sight of Queen Amaya standing on the steps in her ceremony gown, and the King gazing up at her fondly.

"I have but one child, a daughter, that will become a Queen herself one day. Her mother was the kindest woman I've ever known. I loved her dearly. Even with her gone, I still see traces of that kindness in my little one. Now, what she needs is a mother of kindness and strength. One who can teach her to be a Queen for her people. Our kingdoms can only grow together, and you would never need to leave here for long. We shall make journeys between our castles and you shall have my guards to protect Rosas from anything."