The Wish Ceremony

Breathe in....and out.....in through the nose.....out through the mouth....in through the-

"Safi, hold it in!"
"I can't! It's coming! I can feel it! It's happening! It's-!"

Safi's sleeve couldn't contain the sound of his sneeze and Asha lost all hope of keeping herself calm as the rest of the apprentices fell into disorder. Bazeema passed a handkerchief over her shoulder to a grateful Safi while Gabo clucked his tongue in disapproval behind Asha. Dahlia shifted behind him with a wince; they'd been standing behind the curtains for ages and her leg was growing sore. Hal bounced from side to side between Dahlia and Bazeema, dancing a jig to music only she seemed to hear. Simon was already leaning against Dario at the rear for support. A sleepless night of study left him barely able to keep his eyes open. If Dario and Gabo hadn't all but dressed him themselves and heaved him to the palace courtyard, he would still be sitting in the kitchen. The image of him face-down on the counter with his drool threatening to hit the floor might've made Asha giggle if she weren't so nervous.

Her ceremony gown didn't help; Bazeema's mother laced it too tight! Asha wanted to rip the dark string away from her waist, but of course that would reveal her blue chemise, and that would be as good as strutting through Rosas bare. Nothing quite like the fear of public humiliation to ease the fear of.... public humiliation.

She shifted uncomfortably at the front of the line of apprentices. Since tonight she was the Queen's aiding apprentice, she would lead the others in front of the kingdom when summoned. She would also deliver the few chosen wishes of Rosas to Queen Amaya. Their lesson officially ended once the wishes were prepared properly and packed away in the ceremonial box. Asha clutched it tightly in the shadows, waiting for the cue to come forward, willing the nerves to settle before she heaved her lunch all over the courtyard.

"Asha! Can you see him?! Is he here?" Hal whispered loudly, straining her neck to see through the small opening of the curtains.

"See who?"

"I heard a foreign king was joining us for the ceremony! A warrior from the north!"

"King Leopold of Germania," Gabo added with a smug smile. "My parents invited him. The other court officials say he's fought off a hundred men, and he desperately needs a wife."

Dahlia scoffed and rolled her eyes. "Another suitor for the Queen."

Asha's gripped the box so tightly that her fingers began to go numb. Queen Amaya said nothing of a newcomer, much less a royal visitor! But before she could say anything, the trumpets blared, signaling the teens.

She had no idea how, but her feet willed her forward. Emerging from the curtains, the torch lights illuminating the crowd caused her to blink rapidly. Her feet carried her onward, past the sounds of a cheering crowd before her, towards her assigned spot. By the time she reached Queen Amaya, she could see clearly again and took in the glow of Her Majesty. The Queen wore her traditional ceremony gown of blue with a white, flowing overcoat and a cape embroidered with the same golden stars stitched into Asha's dress. A reassuring smile met Asha's star-struck gaze and the girl immediately remembered where she was, spinning forward for the friendly faces of Rosas. The others took their seats a little further back, to the right of the two.

"Welcome Rosas!" Queen Amaya exclaimed, earning louder, more vibrant cheers from her kingdom. "Another beautiful night in our kingdom. It's so good to see you; all of you. And tonight, we enjoy a visitor who has traveled many nights to witness our ceremony. I welcome you, your Majesty King Leopold, to our Rosas!"