Once Upon A Time

(Roughly ten years prior to the start of Wish)

Once upon a time, there was a young woman who believed there was nothing more beautiful than a wish...

But she also understood just how impossible it can be to make a wish come true.

How easily dreams can be tainted or destroyed.

And so, she set out to do something about it.

She studied the magic of the world tirelessly and became a mighty sorceress, able to protect from harm or ill will, any wish given to her, and for the good and the worthy, even grant that wish.

The sorceress didn't know if the world would want her gift.

But, one day, she found the most perfect island deep in the Mediterranean Sea.

And there she built a kingdom like no other, where anyone, any family, no matter where they came from, were welcome.

And to her joy, people came, settled there from far and wide, gave their wishes and appreciation for her protection, and with the very real hope the wishes could one day be granted...

"Queen Amaya!"

Asha smiled and fell giggling against the tree, on the highest ridge in Rosas.

Her father smiled "Who's telling the story, you or me?"

"But her name is Queen Amaya Papa!" Asha repeated. "Don't forget that part!"

"Okay, yes, Her Majesty, Queen Amaya." He looked up at the starlight sky and continued. "Queen Amaya knew that the magic she used to grant wishes came from the stars. And, as Rosas grew, she knew that she would need help if she wanted to keep up with granting the wishes of the people. So, she opened the doors of the palace and summoned the wisest, the kindest, and the most dedicated to learn her ways. They helped her chart the stars and contain the magic, so she could grant more and more wishes for Rosas. Everyone is welcome to learn, but only a few ever master the skill-"

"Like you and Mama!" Asha said and tipped her head up to look at the shimmering, night sky. A star flew across the darkness, and she gasped with delight.

"Yes, like me and Mama. You know your mother and Queen Amaya were the best of friends when they were your age. That's why we came here, to find her! And we stayed here to learn, with Sabas of course. And then we had you!" He picked up his young daughter and held her close. "And here we are! You, and me, and Sabas together in the palace!"

"But no Mama." Asha's smile faded away and she clutched her father's shirt in a tight fist. He sighed but kept her close and patted her back.

"Only for a little while my love," he assured her. "She had to leave us, but only for the good of Rosas. Queen Amaya trusted her above everyone else, to chart the stars across the islands and make sure that no one is using their magic to harm us. Your mama is the only emissary we have."

"Why can't she be an emi....an em-is-sary here?"

He chuckled. "That's not quite how it works. But don't you like her letters, telling you all about her travels? And you have me, your grandfather, and your godmother, the queen herself, to look after you! How many kids in Rosas can say that?"

"I don't know." Asha wriggled out of her father's arms and flopped down the sturdy branch below her. "I don't talk to the other kids. I want to, but...I don't know how. The words won't come out right."

She twirled a braid around her small fingers and thought of the disaster that morning with the kids in the kitchen. The new cook was baking the most delicious cookies for the next wish-granting ceremony and she offered the first batch to the children. Everyone was there, watching, when Asha took one bite and the chocolate crème inside spilled onto her fingers and dress. When she tried to make a joke about it, crumbs fell out of her mouth and the words that followed were a mumbly, muffled mess that left a few of the kids laughing. She couldn't run fast enough to her room.

Her father placed his hand on her shoulder as she winced at the memory of breakfast.

"They will like you, Asha. They will. You just have to be yourself. That's all you can be, and that's always enough."

When it was clear his offer of comfort didn't have the desired effect, he cleared his throat and knelt beside her.

"Will a secret cheer you up?"

Asha perked up instantly. "What kind of secret?! Is it about the wish ceremony? Do you know who's going to get picked??!"

Her father laughed and gathered her in her arms again.

"That's important, private information, for the Queen to know only. And a few trusted apprentices of course. You'll have to wait until tomorrow with the rest of Rosas to find that out. But," he glanced around, carefully, "I think I just discovered something that will change the way wishes are granted in Rosas forever."

His daughter's eyes grew wide, and she bounced up and down quickly on his lap.

"You see, Asha," He turned his eyes to the sky again, "You know that Queen Amaya grants the wishes, but she can't always decide which wishes get granted. That's up to the stars. But I think, if I'm right, there's a star for each of us out there. And if the Queen and I can find a way to call to them, a way to get them to hear us, then-"

"You could actually pick which wish gets granted," Asha whispered, in awe.

"You always beat me to me finish," he said with a smile, flicking a few braids behind her shoulder. "Just like your mother."

Asha excitedly scrambled to her feet and leaned eagerly over the nearest branch.

"You have to show me! You have to show me how to call my star!"

"Calm down my love." He stood and followed her to the edge of the branch. "It's only a theory. I'll need to do a lot of research to prove it."

"Let me help! Please, please, please let me help! I could do the work!"

"Of course you could, but Asha, you're so young. You should be playing with the other children, making friends, eating cookies. The time will come sooner than you think for studying the stars. And not long after that, you'll be twenty, and old enough to give your wish to the Queen for safekeeping, should you choose. For now, just enjoy the world around you. The stars will still be there in a few years."

Asha's shoulders sagged and she let out an exaggerated sigh before falling against the bark of the tree in a huff.

"Come along," her father said, starting his descent. "It's late, and your Sabas will be wondering where we are."

Asha crossed her arms, but slowly gave in and allowed her father to help her down. Within moments, her bare feet were firmly planted in the cool grass. She felt so much smaller on the ground, smaller still when she stood next to her towering father. Other apprentices whispered that he had descended from giants, but if he heard at all, he made no mention of it to anyone. Sometimes Asha wondered if she would grow to be too tall and looming, and she quietly felt a twinge of fear, then shame for caring about such a thing.

"Papa!" she called from behind, earning a turn of his head. "What wish did you give Queen Amaya when you and Mama came to live with her?"

"I haven't given the Queen my wish yet. You know, you don't have to give Queen Amaya your wish right away, you can think about it if you like. And most of my wishes have already come true."

He winked and she giggled before running to catch up with him. As they walked hand in hand back to the palace, young Asha occasionally glanced at the stars, and her silent plan fell into place.

"I'll get Papa to let me help him study the stars soon," she thought. "And I'll find my star, and his, and Sabas, and Queen Amayas. And I'll find Mama's too. And then, I'll use my wish for Mama to come home and we'll all be together in Rosas. We'll all live happily ever after."ry