Part 9: Marcus

When was the last time that Marinette managed to think absolutely positively about anything for herself? It felt so long now, but as Alya and the other girls pointed out to her after they left Lucien's house. Her cheeks were practically glowing, her heart felt like it was pounding her chest, her mind wasn't able to focus except on the warmth that gradually faded from her shoulder. She didn't even hear what the girls were saying until they had returned to Marinette's room.

"Apparently Lila is coming back from traveling starting tomorrow." Mylene muttered. The mere mention of that girl's name put a sour mood on Marinette's mind. Like a plague of despair as memories of that two-faced liar lingered on her mind still. "Oh great, just when things were getting better too." Marinette sighed. She pulled her knees up to her chin as she lightly spun around in her chair. The quad looked at each other for a moment before Alya spoke up.

"Well, I don't think she'll have a chance with your lover boy." As much as Marinette wanted to believe that was true. She knew how convincing Lila was. Marinette had nearly gotten expelled from school before because of Lila's lies. It was the same girl who literally turned everyone including her friends against Marinette. The chair had come to a stop as Marinette found herself thinking. What if Lila managed to convince Lucien to turn against her? What if Lila gets Lucien hurt just because of his association with Marinette?

As if to cleave through the tension, her phone buzzed on the table. A message displayed as a notification, and it belonged to Lucien just as he said that he would. At least with Lucien, he kept his word so far. Whether it was just the movies, talking, eating ice cream, or even just being with him in general. It brought some comfort to her at least, but even so with Lila soon to enter the picture. That could easily change, and as much as Marinette would love to hide this connection from Lila. She knew that liar would find out one way or another.

"Are you going to answer that, or shall I do the honors?" Alya teased as she merely wanted to break the tension that had formed within Marinette. At least it caused her friend to smile albeit it wasn't like how she was beaming with joy earlier. "No, I got it. I'll just... have to be extra careful with Lila around. I don't want him to get hurt, or for her to turn him either." Marinette muttered. She picked up her phone and viewed the message. It was just a formal greeting of who was the person that texted her. However, just to make sure.

"-On the night I met you, what movie did we watch?-" It was only something that the two of them knew about, so if it really was Lucien then he'd know right away. Not even a full minute had gone by before she got a response.

"-it was the Cursed Cabin. You kept stealing my popcorn-" The response made her laugh.

"-You kept offering it to me so what was I supposed to do? Not eat it?-"

"Smiling and laughing? Gotta be him. If it was Adrien she'd be freaking out." Alix jokes. The others laughed as Marinette rolled her eyes with a smile tugging at her lips. "I do not do that." Marinette protested. The girls however weren't buying it though as they shared a laugh.

The next day, Marinette was filled with bitterness the instant she laid eyes on Lila. Every word she spoke was a lie in Marinette's ears. Yet most people bought it because it was exactly what they wanted to hear. The only ones who didn't seem to buy into her lies were Adrien, Chloe, Alya, and herself. Marinette couldn't tell if Lucien was actually listening as the dark haired girl didn't dare look at his way.

Lila narrowed her eyes at Marinette before she took her seat in the far back. Right next to Lucien as she smiled sweetly at him. It was like someone put a venomous knife into Marinette's heart as Lucien peered over at Lyla in confusion. "Hey Marinette, just trust in him. Okay?" Alya whispered. As much as Marinette would love to, she knew how convincing Lila could be. At least Lucien appeared to be as dismissive as always.