Part 19: Elysium

It surprised Marinette somewhat that Lucien genuinely didn't know much about the Chinese language or their customs for that matter. Especially since he's proven to be remarkably intelligent, but as they sat down at the outdoor tables of the cafe. Lucien narrowed his eyes at her in suspicion.

"Either you've been reading into those philosophy books or you've got a doppelganger. Where did you pick up on those words?" As far as Lucien was aware, nobody would go as far as making a full-blown speech that cut deeper than any blade. Marinette blinked before she started to smile with a smug look on her face. "What? Jealous of my intelligence?" She mocked before she took a sip of her tea. Steam gently rose skyward from the liquid's surface. In truth it still didn't taste anything like her mother made tea, but it was doable at least.

"What intelligence?" Lucien equally mocked with a knowing grin. It was one thing when she does it, but to have it reflected back to Marinette made the girl puff her flustered cheeks. "Hey! I'll have you know I always score high. Unlike someone I know." Honestly, with how smart Lucien was and resourceful at that. It was more surprising that Lucien wasn't one of the top students in class. He could easily be amongst the brilliant minds if he just put in the effort, or so Marinette thought.

"Eh, touché. So what's this about learning a language? Or was it just an excuse to drag me out here?" Lucien inquired before he took a sip of his coffee. The mixture of bitter-sweet was familiar to him as what should rejuvenate him was just comforting to Lucien at this point. Both of them knew the real reason involved with their alter egos, but neither could openly discuss things that only Ladybug and Shadowstar would know. Despite them knowing their identities at this point, both still had to be careful what they talked about. Marinette's bluebell eyes shifted to the upper corner of her vision for a moment as she contemplated on how to word it.

"Well, yes and no. I can teach you about the language and my people's culture if you're interested. But I was also hoping that in exchange you could tell me more about how to properly uh..." She paused as she set the teacup down on its coarser for a moment. Seeing her search for the right word caused Lucien to raise a brow of curiosity as he patiently waited for the dark-haired teen to finish. "Magic?" As ridiculous as it sounded, that was about the only thing that Marinette could come up with to describe what Lucien himself could do.

But the look on Lucien's voice with a hum suggested that what she said wasn't exactly correct. "I guess it could be considered as magic, but it has different names amongst different cultures. Such as chi for example, but that's just my take on it." Lucien paused for a moment as he took another sip of his coffee. Marinette was attentive as she brought her tea to her lips as well. His thoughts mulled over the possibilities, and under normal circumstances Lucien likely would've rejected her of being taught such things. For it was a power that could easily be used for evil intentions as well as good. Merlin for example was a master in the art to the point he could create doorways to other dimensions or imprison victims in his own pocket dimensions where he reigns supreme. He could break into people's minds and force them to submit to his will. The elements of the world bent to Merlin's command. Summon creatures many believed to be mere myths into reality. Frankly the only limit Merlin seemed to possess was the Law of Balance itself.

In the end, Lucien sighed as he set down the cup of half-drained coffee upon the coarser. "Alright, but I cannot stress this enough that you have to be extremely careful when and where you use this power. Even more so if you plan on training other people into using it as well. Okay?" He sounded so sincere yet so cautious that it brought questions just how powerful can this magic be? Then a memory surfaced in Marinette's thoughts of when Lucien had literally created a star likely from the same power she sought after. Then there were a couple of times where she was being controlled by the Prophet and the time where she got trapped in the Dreamscape.