Lucas

I wake up to my phone going off. It's Topanga, Riley's mom. It's almost five in the morning, why is she calling me? "Hello?" I answer, my voice tired. "Lucas, it's Topanga. Have you heard anything from Maya lately? Is she okay?" She sounds worried. "Yeah she's fine Topanga, she's right he-" I stop mid sentence. Where Maya's sleeping body should have been is a letter with my name on it. "Lucas? Lucas what's wrong?" She asks. "Maya was just here. Topanga, I'm going to call you back." I say as I hang up. I rip open the letter. It says,

"Lucas. I'm so sorry for doing this. More sorry than you could ever imagine. But we can't be together. You deserve someone better than me. I'm nothing but trouble. Besides, it would kill Riley if I went out with you, and I can't hurt her like the way I've been broken. Maybe if things were different, but let's face it. You're a prince, and I'm the homeless rat on the street. It just wouldn't work out. Don't bother calling, I won't answer. I'm so so so sorry. I promise you, it has nothing to do with you. You are the most amazing person I have ever met in my entire life. Always remember that. I love you and I always will. Please find it in your heart to forgive me. I love you forever my love. Goodbye. Maya."

I have to find her. Now. There's no telling what she's thinking about doing. Running away? Suicide? I can't think. I run out the door, forgetting I'm still in my pajamas. As my hands shake I call Topanga, and tell her everything. She is going to talk to Corey and decide what to do. Meanwhile I call Maya. No answer. She hung up on my call. I try seven different times. Nothing. I don't have a clue where she is or what she's doing. I quickly open the find my friends app, and tap on Maya. She's at the subway. I run faster than I have ever run in my entire life. 

Calling out her name, I see her, but she ignores me. Determined to run away. Luckily she's not suicidal. I run to her, but I trip some man in a business suit, and it's like dominoes. He falls backwards into Maya, and she falls in the way of the train. "NO!!!" I scream. Louder than when the man beat her up. Everything is in slow motion. I run, but it's still not very fast. Maya stands up, and faces her impending death. I leap off the edge, and slam into her and make it to the other side of the tracks just as it stops right where Maya would have been. She would be dead if I hadn't moved her. We stand, panting for our breath, and she reaches up and kisses me. She's safe.