Chapter Nine

KHUMO

"How's life with your hubby?" Boity asked.

"Non-existent." I replied dryly. "He left for Durban apparently for business." I added.

It's been 2 days since Sanele left for Durban and he hasn't called or texted but what's weird about this is the fact during his visits Nkosi told me that he knows nothing about the sudden business trip to Durban. Nonetheless I'm just happy to be alone.

"The day of announcing your engagement is nearly here," Her brow arched. "And he couldn't put business aside for one second."

"That's the reality of our marriage." I muttered. "This is just the beginning."

"I don't understand why you agreed to this," Boity shook her head. "Instead of being happy your miserable in this."

"It's the price I have to pay the sake of my family's safety." I said.

"Yeah, I get all that but is it worth it?" Boity asked. "Being sucked in a loveless marriage?"

My stomach plummeted. I forced a smile. "If my family gets to see another day then I don't mind being in this loveless marriage."

Boity sighed. She and I particularly grew up together and I understand her pity but I don't need anyone's pity. I signed up for this so I'm just going to roll with the punches.

"But that doesn't change the fact that he left you few days before the announcement of your engagement."

"I don't mind being alone means I get to do alot of things in my free like for instance making sure I make a grand entrance." I smiled.

"Now that's the spirit." Boity said.

Her phone rang. "Sorry I've took to take this." She mumbled.

"How can I help miss?" The salesman asked with a polite smile.

"I'm looking for a piece," I said. "A piece that is a statement setter but I can still wear it everyday."

For the next I don't minutes. The salesman who's name was George walked me through the store showing me their finest pieces.

"This is part of our newest collection." He retrieved a dazzling emerald and diamond bracelet from the display case."It consists of forty clover emeralds and four points carats worth of diamonds."

I was stunned at this beauty. I've bought thousands of jewelry but this bracelet was a standout piece.

"I'll take it." My breath caught.

"Excellent." George said as he immediately processed the payment. "Whoever is going to be seeing you wearing is going to be jealous." I just smiled.

Suddenly there was an explosion of noise that yanked my attention to the entrance.

Three guys walked in wearing black balaclava, two had guns and one was holding a black duffle bag. And the security guard was shot on the head.

My whole face turned pale.

"Wonke umuntu phansi!" One of the guys said as he waved his gun while his accomplices were smashing the glasses with the nearest jewelry display.

George and the other workers complied, fear was evident on their faces.
I wanted to but it was like I was frozen, my muscles refused to obey my brain's commands. I've lived in Cape Town for all my existence and never have I experienced getting mugged, hijacked or assaulted.

I've always wondered how I would react if I ever caught myself in those situations.

Now I know.

The guy who shouted the instructions caught me standing and his eyes were filled with anger.

Fear consumed me as he stalked towards me yet my feet remained on the floor. No matter how much I tried to fight this paralysis.

I couldn't move. Everything felt so surreal.

One minute I was with Boity, signing my purchase. Now this the store, the robbery and me.

Boity I thought quickly where is she, is she fine. Did she call the police as soon she saw what was happening inside.

The balaclava man neared.
Closer
Closer
Closer

My heart pumped like the heavy, ominous thud of his boots.

Next you know he was infront me and all I could do was cry. My pulse reached defending levels.

I feel myself leave my body in my current situation and I was just there watching the scene play out as an invisible party.

Pressure pressed my chest.

Phansi. But I couldn't.
Thud. Thud. Thud.

He was here in front of me.

My body jerked, a gasp of life in the face of death, but if was too late.

The cold metal of a gun pressed against my forehead.

"Awuzange ungizwe okokuqala?" The man's hot breath fanned my face and my stomach turned as he pressed the gun even more. "Ngathi eyaphansi, sfebe!"

His finger was pressed on the trigger.
The man infront me could kill me right this instance but he's just looking at me.

I could hear my own heart drumming against my chest.

Less than an hour I was talking about how unhappy and miserable I am but now...

There's a possibility that I might not make it to my own engagement.

I couldn't stop imagining how heartbroken and devastated papa and tsholo will be. Would sanele be happy that I'm dead.

But this man's eyes seemed familiar like I've seen them before.

•••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Dang.Dang.Dang

I feel bad for our girl khumo I can't imagine what she's going through

And what does she mean that this guy's eyes seem familiar??

Can't wait for Sanele's pov
after this

This chapter was rushed apologies that it's short.

Felt like ya'll deserved a little bit of something something 😉😉