the begining of the end

"Don't forget to feed truffles," Daffodil's mum called to her from downstairs.

"I won't mum," she called back.

Truffles was the owl her parents bought her for her third year. He was absolutely beautiful and as far as she knew very expensive. He had brown wings with white underneath and zebra stripes across most of his back and stomach.

"Truffles," she called to him, cramming the rest of her books into her trunk.

A hogwarts history? Check.
Magical biology and botany; night crawlers? Check.
Defense against the dark arts p.2? Check.
Magical creatures and specimens p.2? Check.
Transfigoration p.1 and 2? Check.
A months worth of school robes? Check.
Down time clothes? Check.
Her wand? Check.

She checked two more times before she felt a weight on her shoulder, telling her it was time to go.

"Sorry, truff, you can't come with me today. Mum will send you in a week, " dilly explained to him.

He rubbed her neck affectionately before flying away to sit on the window sill, looking out at the Stray cats.

Rushing down the stairs, her mum took her trunk and pointed at the dining table where her father sat.

Out of the corner of her eye, she could see her mum refolding, reducing and repositioning her stuff to fit more in the trunk.

"You dont need parchment. We'll send you one tomorrow. Right now, you need more clothes. You could use more dresses, " her mum griped.

Dilly stared at her mother, expecting her to say something else.

"Oh, for heavens sake, don't dilly dally, eat," Mum spoke harshly.

On the table sat toasted bread, some kind of marmalade spread, and butter.

Toast, then butter, then marmalade. Then, of course, the best part. Eat.

"Chew quieter, Daffodil," her father spoke.

She wasn't chewing loudly, at least not that she could hear.

"Henry let her be, she's got enough worrys," mum reprimanded him.

He grunted and turned his attention back to his newspaper, the daily profit.

As dilly ate, she qept her eye on the clock. They needed to be at the station before nine. Why Mum was rushing her, she didn't know. They had forty minutes before they had to be there, and it was only 20 minutes from their house. Plus, they were going to travel via floo powder.

After mum was done struggling with the luggage, she walked over to daffodil, placing a kiss on her head.

"Dilly, we need to go,"

As daffodil rose from the table, her father put down the paper "get into slitherin." Then he continued reading.

Mum placed her hand on dilly's back, urging her to walk toward the chimney. "It doesn't matter what house as long as you're happy." She whispered to her

Daffodil was given her trunk and truffle's cage.

"Into the fireplace, dear. Hold to me and don't let go, " mum spoke as she took some floo power from the jar. "Say bye to your father,"

"Is dad not coming?" Dilly asked

"No dear, he's still got things to settle out with the new job." Then she spoke to her father."Henry, say goodbye to your daughter."

Dad waved her off with the back of his hand. "Remember purebloods only, got it?"

"Yes, dad,"

He looked up at her for a moment before slightly smiling, "Love you."

With that, a green gas suddenly covered them, and they were standing on the train station.

It was absolutely beautiful. Big stone pillars that made it look like a cathedral, huge glass pains on the ceiling. Nothing like the ones in America, so industrial. No, these looked antique.

Daffodil felt her mum again pushing her.
"Train dear, train. Dont want to be late now, do we?"

Daffodil shook her head. "No mum, I don't."

Just like the station, the train looked old as well. As if it were one of the originals from the Industrial Revolution.

"The crowd is getting bad, I told you we should have shown up earlier," Mum scolded her.

There were at most 30 people in the entire station.

"I'll make a note for next year," dilly said, trying to appease her mother.

mum knodded.

As she kept walking toward the train, the crowd got worse, but still, they kept on.

The closer she got to the train, the bigger it looked.

At last, reaching it, it was much, much bigger than she first thought.

"We'll send you truffles next week."

Dilly knodded.

"Keep in touch and stay away from troublemakers," Mum eyed her.

"Of course," dilly again knodded.

"I love you. You're gonna be just fine," she kissed her forehead.

"Mum!" Dilly groaned,"not here, "

Her mum rolled her eyes. "You're not too old for a kiss on the nogin. Plus, nobody cares if your mummy gives you a wee little smooch. Now, up you go," her mum said in that fermilliar Irish accent.

Dilly started up the stairs before turning around to see her mum. "Love you."

"You best better. I'll see you come christmas"

"See ya." Dilly blew a kiss at her mum.

"Go. You leave in 5 minutes, and other kids need to get on. Seriously, dear, use your brain. You have it for a reason."

With one final wave, goodbye dilly disappeared into the train.