19

Psychopath: Psychopaths Have Recognizable Speech Patterns

Ophelia's pov:

I lay in bed, unable to find any semblance of rest. The events of the previous day played on a relentless loop in my mind, haunting me with their vivid intensity. Fear twisted my insides, a constant reminder of the precariousness of my situation. Yet, amidst the terror, a small part of me clung to his promise that he wouldn't harm me. It was a fragile thread of trust, barely strong enough to hold me together.

I twisted and turned, trying to find a comfortable position, but sleep remained elusive. Beside me, Killian slept soundly, his presence a constant reminder of both my fear and the strange comfort I derived from his proximity. Each time I moved, I hoped not to wake him, but it seemed my restlessness finally became too much.

With a swift motion, Killian's arm snaked around me, pulling me closer until my head rested on his chest. His warmth enveloped me, and despite the circumstances, I felt a small measure of comfort.

I tried to ask him what he was doing, my voice barely a whisper in the dim room. "Killian, what—"

He didn't answer right away. Instead, he reached for the remote on the nightstand and turned on the TV. The sudden glow of the screen illuminated the room with a soft light, casting shadows on the walls.

"What do you want to watch, love?" he asked, his voice low and calm, as if this were the most normal thing in the world.

I blinked, taken aback by the unexpected question. The tension in my body eased slightly, though my mind still raced. "I... I don't know," I admitted, my voice trembling. "Something calming, I guess."

He flipped through the channels with a casual ease, finally settling on a nature documentary. The soothing images of serene landscapes and tranquil animals began to fill the room, a stark contrast to the chaos in my mind.

He really does know me...

As I lay there, my head rising and falling with the steady rhythm of his breathing, I couldn't help but feel a confusing mix of emotions. Fear, yes, but also a strange sense of security. It was a paradox that I couldn't quite reconcile, and yet it was the reality of my life now.

Killian's hand absently stroked my hair, a gesture that might have been tender under different circumstances. "Try to relax, love," he murmured. "Everything will be alright."

I closed my eyes, letting the gentle cadence of the documentary wash over me. Despite everything, I found myself slowly drifting towards sleep, lulled by the conflicting emotions and the rhythmic beat of his heart beneath my ear.

Even now, on the verge of sleep, my mind refused to quiet. Memories, fears, and doubts swirled in an endless loop, denying me the peace I desperately needed. Killian noticed my restlessness and, with a sigh, shifted slightly.