Soaring from substances (10)

LANEY'S POV

"I need to stop buying so much weed, maybe then I'd actually have some money for college." I sighed, looking over to Izzy who sat comfortably on her bed.

"What? You done got addicted?" She chuckled, taking a drag from her cigarette.

"Yeah I guess. I dunno, it just helps with things. I need to at least lay off though." I sighed, leaning back up against the room table as I ironically inhaled a joint of weed.

"Well, now's the time to stop then." She laughed before blowing out a puff of smoke.

I wished I could get my life together, like really do something with it. I wanted to go to college for art, but obviously I didn't have the money for that.

I figured if I could maybe pick up some extra shifts and lay off my bad habits then maybe I could pull it off. I had a glimmer of hope, but the people I hung around sort of pulled me down. It's not like I really had anyone else though.

And thinking all of this, I felt my eyes burning slightly as my consciousness wasn't fully there. I loved it.

"So you coming to this party with me or no?" I asked abruptly.

"Where's it at?" She asked, slouching down into the pillows.

"Head and David's place."

"I don't know who's who."

"Oh come on, Head's one of the guitarists, he's got the funny hair." I chuckled.

"They all have funny hair." She scoffed with a smile.

"Oh whatever, just come with me. It starts at 8:00." I said before inhaling more of my joint.

"So are you and that guy officially together now or what?" She looked to me as she put out her cigarette in the ash tray next to her bed.

"Yeah we are, going on a whopping three days now." I raised my eyebrows sarcastically.

"Oh wow, y'all are really locked in for life huh?" She laughed.

"I dunno, hopefully he won't forget about me when he goes on this tour." I shrugged.

"How long is it supposed to last anyways."

"At least a couple months. I know they're touring North America and a few spots in Europe, but that's all I know."

"Well as much as he's up your ass all the time I don't look for him to forget about you." She laughed.

"Well, I wouldn't put it like that..." I muttered, holding down my laugh.

"Oh come on Laney, he literally comes over to see you like every other day. Don't think that I can't hear you guys. These walls are thin." She knocked on the wall behind her.

"Oh whatever." I covered my face, slightly mortified.

                                       ***

Izzy and I slipped our way into the already crowded apartment, immediately searching for the alcohol.

I was already stoned as fuck from smoking nearly an entire joint earlier, but hey it's not like I really gave a shit. It was new years, which obviously meant I needed a raging hangover for the first official day of 1994.

"Damn, I didn't expect this many people to be here for a new year's party." I yelled over the blasting music, hoping Izzy could make out what I said. I wedged myself in between people trying to find anyone I knew, it felt like I was in a fucking mosh or something.