09

five years ago

five years ago

              RYAN SAT AT HER DESK, scowling down at the homework Bruce had assigned her.

It was no surprise that Bruce would throw work her way, but she hoped that it wouldn't be mere hours after she got off her flight.

Pursing her lips, she squinted her eyes, trying to dial in all the focus she could muster. Thankfully, she was interrupted by her phone ringing.

A confused look grew on her face when she saw it was Dick.

" Hey, Dick. What's up? Oh! Did I not text you that I landed? "

" Uh, no, no. You did. Just-I-uh... Something happened, Ryan. " Dick responded, his voice shaky and full of sadness

" What are you talking about? "

Dick fell silent at her question.

" Dick, what is going on? " Ryan's voice filling with dread.

" It's Garth. " There was a sigh. " He died, tonight. "

" What?! " Ryan yelled, jumping up from her desk. Tears immediately sliding down her cheeks. " What-what happened? He was fine yesterday! "

" I know, I know he was. He w-was shot, we- "

" By who? Was it doctor light?! " She demanded, her free hand balling into a tight fist.

" We don't know yet, okay? Please don't worry yourself about that. I just wanted you to know about Garth. "

" Don't worry about that?! He w-was my friend too! "

" I know, I know " Dick muttered, clearly discouraged. The softness in his voice, and the true sadness within in, was hitting Ryan in her heart. " I am so sorry, Ryan. "

The girl let out a breath, tears continuing to fall. " I'm so-sorry, Dick. I am so, so sorry. "

" Y-yeah. " He breathed out, It was clear that Dick was holding back tears of his own. " Uh, listen, Ryan. I-I gotta go, okay? I'll call you when I can. " He added, before hastily hanging up the phone.

Silence filled the room as Ryan hung her phone.

Her eyes continued to fill with tears as they darting around her surroundings, trying to find anything that could help the wave of grief that was starting to swallow her.