Chapter 6

ON Sunday morning, one of Lord Elwood's carriages gently rolled up the road, wheels occasionally bumping on some of the larger rocks with the horses letting out grunts of effort in front, their noses shrouded with mist as they puffed out huge wads of hot air. It was a chilly morning, but the ground was damp from rain and the silver glitter of frost was nowhere to be seen, with the grass wearing glistening, teary, streaks of droplets instead.

Inside, the carriage consisted of Charlie, Elias and Lady Elwood- Lord Elwood was still residing in Grane and tending to his affairs. They sat quietly, with the younger ones placed beside each other, much to Charlie's discomfort as she insisted on gaping out the window so that she didn't have to spare a single shred of her attention on her stepbrother.

She wouldn't speak to him, she wouldn't look at him, she wouldn't acknowledge him because he did not deserve it. He didn't even deserve to breathe, as far as she was concerned, with that huge, arrogant, air-filled head of his. How she wished he would simply cease to exist- not die because that was a little too horrid to pray for. But if she was to wake up one day and he would cease to be on this earth along with all her memories of him, she wouldn't complain.

Lady Elwood also watched through the glass, dressed in a lovely red gown with black cloak matching her ruby hat that was decorated with fine fabric and lacing. She had black leather gloves on and was neatly dressed for the Midial.

All of them were neatly dressed, Charlie struggling to breathe in the tightly laced corset that was digging into her ribs.

Her mother caught sight of the little chapel, its bright bricks standing tall in the dreary fields, shrouded with the left-over fog from that dawn. There were two bell towers, rhythmically dinging to remind everyone all over that the assembly was about to commence.

She watched it and said, "I can't remember the last time we all came here together."

Peeping at her, Charlie didn't engage and listened in as Elias reminded, "Father's in Grane."

"Right... so he is," she musingly nodded, watching the building creep closer to them until the cart came to a halt and they heard the driver call to the horses.

They all traded glances while they listened to his footsteps grind on the road, roaming over to them when he abrasively opened the door, holding it open with an expectant stance that insinuated they all should get on their merry way. Lady Elwood ambled out first, clutching her dress as to not trip on it while Elias angled himself out next, jumping down and straightening his jacket before turning to her.

"You coming then, sis?"

She glowered at him threateningly, wishing nothing more than to gnaw his throat out but restraining herself, lifting her chin in pride and wonkily stepping onto the dirt path. There was a narrow, white pebbled road to the Midial with an old stone wall surrounding the property. Some bushes were neatly trimmed within, and she knew that a graveyard lingered in the back. However, she had no desire to visit it because though she chose not to believe in ghosts, it didn't mean that her imagination didn't conjure them of its free will.

"Hurry up or we'll be late," he pointed to her mother who was already far ahead of them.

She grouchily treaded after him, staring aggressively into his back as if she could transfer her own unhappiness and sorrow onto him. He was the one who deserved it after all.

A few people walked behind her, so she quickly tried to match their pacing, slightly rushing her own which soon led her inside the large wooden doors. It was quite a big space with some small statues placed around the alter in order to pay respects to the holy ones. It was quiet and peaceful, as usual, with some already kneeling in the aisles and whispering their prayers.