Chapter 10

SHE burst through the door, slamming it behind her with a vigorous shiver. It was quite the task since an hour after Mary had left, a furious wind had picked up outside, cold and hostile, leaving Charlie with terribly pale and cracked hands, rosy cheeks and a ruby red nose, while her teeth chattered away as if they were waltzing in a ballroom.

"So... bloody... c-cold," she shook, stiffly trudging further inside and lifting her palms to her face, puffing a great wad of air into them and rubbing them frantically together.

It didn't help.

"I h-hate this weather..." snarling to herself she regretfully peeled the cloak off her back, immediately longing for the warmth and cosiness of the library, while her temper broke at the annoying rigidness of her bones and the ache in her joints that spiralled up and down her spine, "I h-hate w-winter... I hate th-the cold, I hate th-this c-country... I hate-"

"My goodness, have you seen how the wind has picked up out there? Atrocious weather, I hope there won't be another storm. We already had a terrible autumn, I'm not sure I can take such a winter," a voice cut her off as she hung up her cloak, freezing in her tracks at the tiny familiarity though it failed to spring recollection.

Her temple creased and she quietly creeped closer, past the wall and popping her head out into the corridor sneakily to eves drop, trying to catch a glimpse of the stranger. Pressing one hand against the cool, painted wall, she leaned out with her hair dangling past her shoulders in a tangled wave, blinking at the silhouette, back turned to her and face not visible.

Lady Elwood then continued, her mother's refined speech ringing all too clearly in her ears, "Yes it doesn't look promising, does it? I have to say that so far it hasn't been so bad apart from the temperature and frost... but I certainly hope the rain doesn't return. I prefer it crisp and cold like this, rather than damp and wet."

"Oh but of course. All that muck gets everywhere, and the mugginess most definitely can't be good to our health. That being said, the last thing I want is a blizzard. So much hassle with carriages becoming stuck in the snow and ice on the roads. The last thing we need right now."

"I couldn't agree more, Lady Cheslyn."

Ah, so that's who it was.

Just as Charlie began to recognise the short but petite figure of the elder lady, about a decade older than her mother, she spun to the window and her aged face became clear. Charlie had heard much of her beauty back in the day... from Lady Cheslyn herself that is. She loved to boast about what a prize she had once been. Her face was round though age had made it become worn and narrow, abruptly pointing at the chin with a long straight nose that always made Charlie think of a mouse when she was a child and had to strain up to look at her- all she needed was a set of whiskers to match. Her hair that had once been a stunning jet black was now almost completely grey, as white as the frost that lined the meadows outside, and her eyes sagged into a forever lasting squint, lips pursed and narrow with a never-ending pejorative frown.

Charlie immediately grimaced, slowly disappearing behind the wall again with great care not to make a sound, mouthing to herself, "Bleh," most expressively. She was not in the mood for this vain superior today. There were plenty of troubles buzzing in her mind and she didn't need high and mighty Lady Cheslyn to add to them through her contemptuous comments.

Hence, she licked her lips with apprehension, inhaling in preparation to dart across to the stairs without being noticed. The library could wait till later, she wanted to avoid this encounter now.

She was incredibly light footed when she sprung out like a gazelle running from a tiger, being almost soundless. Almost... but not quite.

"Ah young Charlette!"