Chapter 17

Her hand pressed against the door, ear slinking beside the wood to try and catch any sounds. There was nothing. Good, it meant that no one else was up. There were a few clacks and bangs that she could hear gently creep up from downstairs, the inn slowly restarting its busy day as early risers came in for a drink before work. But Charlie didn't care about them.

She just didn't want an awkward run in with Konner.

Her face heated whenever she recalled the night before. She hadn't said anything bad... but he must think her mad. He did think her mad, he'd said it more times than she could count. Still, how terribly embarrassing would it be that after that grand speech and toughly spat goodbye, if she now had to simperingly wish him a good morning and goodbye again. No, she wanted to walk out with her head held high. The only way to accomplish that, was to sneak out and avoid a dreadfully uncomfortable encounter.

Then again, wasn't it rude to not give a more genuine thank you? She had been impulsive the previous night and it came out as more of a snarl than a sincere showcase of gratitude. But no, it would be weird, and she'd stammer and lose her wording and the whole brilliant speech she gave would lose its effect. How had she even managed to be so even toned when she'd said all of that? She wished she could be that smart all the time and not just when she was furious beyond measure.

And she wished that right now most of all, standing like a complete fool, hugging the door and praying to God that he wasn't on the other side. Now, she'd had some sleep, received a fresh mind, and had some time to think about what she had said and done. Maybe she was too harsh. Maybe she had been too serious. Maybe she had been too hasty, what was she going to do now without his help? But no, it was the right choice to let him leave. But how did she come across last night? Insane, obviously. Probably also arrogant as hell.

Her forehead knocked on the door. Flipping heck, she totally sounded like some kind of stuck-up brat with rich daddy issues. He probably thought she was throwing a temper tantrum about not getting her way. Then again, who cared what he thought? Not her. She didn't care. His opinions didn't matter to her, she had more important things on her mind. She needed to focus on the necklace. Yes, that's right. She'd probably never see him again, so it didn't matter anyway.

Oh God, he must hate her.

She couldn't blame him; she'd hate her too. Look at it from his perspective, some bratty madwoman comes out of nowhere and drags him through hell, risks his life, spends his money, and doesn't listen to a single piece of advice he gives her. She winced at the memory of his reprimanding in the ally. She'd angered him, really... angered him. That must have taken a lot considering he'd been so relaxed pretty much the whole time. She hadn't meant to; she just needed her necklace. It was stupid she realised that, but she wasn't really in her right mind. She was panicking alright?! She deserved a bit of slack.

But of course he hated her.

Stifling a whimper, she hovered a hand over the brass door handle as another stuffy wave of heat blasted from the balcony, up her back. Please don't let him be there. Please don't let him be there. Please don't let him be there. She'd die of embarrassment if he was. Stupid, cocky, conniving Charlette. Who did she think she was? Damn her horrid, nasty, brash alter ego who just randomly came from nowhere and screwed everything up, leaving a huge mess for poor ordinary Charlie to clean up and stress over the next day. She just had to speak her mind. She just couldn't shut up like a good girl.

One breath. Two breaths. It was fine. It was all good. He was probably still sleeping; she'd just slip out and leave. Which way was the exit? Whatever, she'd figure it out later. Wait, how would she get out of the well? Shit. Ok, ok, it was fine. She would figure that out later too. Just hurry out of the inn and then deal with everything else. Most important goal- avoid conflict.