Chapter 8

~Two years ago~

PITTER patter went the rain on the window. It drummed against the glass ever so elegantly in a soothing melodical tune, the droplets running down in a teary rush. The clouds made the sky dark, grey and menacing, quickly obscuring the evening sun and dumping their heavy water on the earth.

On the other side of the window, was the bleak sight of a very wet Dushmore. The roads were bright with the reflections of the streetlamps, gleaming ever so blindingly with the slick rivers of water flowing across the cobbles, barrelling down into the gutters and out of view. Footsteps pounded loudly on the concrete paths, people dashing away with umbrellas and coats or any protection that could be found, ducking into the shimmering shops, their welcoming doors bursting with the warmth that the early spring wind did not provide.

The loud claps of horse hooves thundered through every so often, the rattling of carriage wheels echoing ever so boisterously due to the damp earth, bouncing off the continuous walls, be it stores, houses or blocks of flats, that lay one after the other all the way up the lane.

Meanwhile, Charlie sat comfortably, feeling the soft prickle of the velvet seat that she rested on. The fabric stretched out far for another three seats, being made into a large couch at the edge of the seamstress's shop in which she currently resided. Her head rested on her arms as she looked out into the window, bracing herself on the back rest of the sofa, the wooden shell on the outskirts only just chillingly kissing the bare skin on her arms.

What a miserable day.

It had started out lovely, remaining dry and clear all morning, and a while past noon, until the weather chose to change with a fierce wind that came from nowhere. Previously she had been livid that she had been dragged shopping when it was so beautiful outside. Now she was grateful.

"I told you it was going to rain," Regina's voice startled her as she twirled to face her aunt, pushing herself away from the window and blinking at the striking elder woman in front of her. Her matching brown hair shimmered with only a few greys beginning to seep through while her gradually wrinkling eyes shimmered with forever lasting youth that she never let die, beaming at her and brushing down the silky red gown that she was trying on, "Did I not tell you it was going to rain?"

Charlie suppressed a grin, rolling her eyes before nodding with a chuckle, "Yes... I suppose you did."

"And I was right!" she proudly exclaimed, "I'm always right. These old bones know when there's a storm coming."

"I'd hardly call you old," Charlie furrowed her brows cynically as she eyed her attractive figure, looking better than she ever dreamed she could in the stunning dress, "and I'd hardly call this a storm."

"The point is that it's raining, and I told you it would rain," her tongue poked through her red lined lips until she did a twirl and inquired, "what do you think?"

"I think it looks gorgeous on you," she awed, slouching back in her seat and softly smiling.

"Oh you're too kind."

"I'm really not, you look amazing."

"It would look better on you..." the tick of her brain could be seen plain on her face before she tapped her chin then gave a wave, gesturing her niece over, "come on... why don't you try it on?"

"Noooo Auntie," she whined in return, "I'm comfy as I am."

"But it would look so fetching on you! Do come and try it on!"

"Noooo!"

"Yes!"

"I'm tired!"

"After what?!" her voice boomed through the store in exclamation as her hands fell on her hips with a huff, "we've done nothing but shop all day!"