xii

•|melting point|•

Kedar

“Agastya just sit down and hear what I've to say!” My exasperated sigh echoed through the walls.

His shoes squeaked as he walked out of the room and slammed the door shut. It seems like a hobby for him, slamming shut all the doors uncaring of other people living here. Dada would've had my head for a slight shout and here everyone can do as they please.

A slight commotion was heard from downstairs and before I knew, my feet was taking me there, the crutch tightly held in my hand.

“Agastya stop being so goddamn stubborn, just get some rest and then go to work. We aren't keeping you hostage here, we just want you to be healthy.” Siya cried, her hands flying around in frustration.

Agastya paid her no mind as he sat down for eating his breakfast. “You should really listen to her if not me.” I said to him only to be ignored like his sister.

“Why can't you for the love of the god understand that this is important for me and I have to be present there? Am I not making any sense? Or are you all just plain dumb?”

“We are not dumb you're. You just fainted from exhaustion 2 days ago and yet here you're all ready to jump right back into your business. Do you even understand what we are trying to say?” I finished with a bite to my voice. He shouldn't just stand there and mock us for caring for his health. He should be grateful that there are people who care about him and his well being.

“Shut up! Who invited you here?” He questioned.

“Why the hell does he need an invitation? He is your husband and he has the right to be worried about you.” Siya jumped in for my defence, her voice raising towards the end. It brought both Yuvaan and Rudra downstairs.

Kya ho raha hai bhai? Subha hai sabko sona hai, aap log apne awaz neeche karke be baatein kar sakti hai. You know that right?” [What is happening Bhai? It's morning everyone wants to sleep and you can talk with your voice low too.] Rudra tries to lighten the mood by joking which completely fell flat when 3 pairs of glares was directed at him. The tension thick in the air couldn't be diffused by his silly jokes and as soon as he realises that he took a step back letting his elder brother take charge of the situation.

Agastya got up from his chair, jaw clenched in determination. Siya glanced at me, the same determination gleaming in her eyes. It was so easy to forget that they are brother and sister when their countenance were so different. If one was a warm hearth then other was the fire that caused destruction, it was only a matter of situations like this that decided what it will be.

“Just shut up Rudra, not everything can be solved with your stupid jokes.” Agastya sneered.

The silliness crumbled right off of Rudra’s face, hurt replacing the happiness. Yuvaan ruffled his hair in an act of comfort and glared at his elder brother.

“Why should he shut up? Why should he stop his stupid joke because that is the only thing that is keeping this house lively and definitely not your business or your attitude.” He scoffed, ugliness twisting into his words, filled with contempt.

But Agastya wasn't one to back and he gave just as he got. “It is because of the business you call so scathingly, that you get to travel all around the world, in the name of your dead girlfriend.” Siya and Rudra's gasp was audible in the sudden silence that followed.

I have never really interacted with any of them from the time I had come here, neither his siblings nor his parents. I was comfortable, if slightly alone in my own cocoon and I didn't really understand their lives or their past, so the shock and surprise on their faces and the ashen expression on Yuvaan's face made me intrigued.