Chapter Six: Love, A Wild Thing

Mick's POV:

The old cuckoo clock strikes three in the morning. I could tell Annabelle was getting tired but the way she was covering up her yawns. It seems like she wasn't ready to leave too soon though.

"Wow, I can't believe it's this late already," she says,"The time just flew by."

I nodded my head in agreement,"I know, I can't believe in a few hours we'll both have to leave." At that statement, her face falls and she stands up from the booth.

"I'm gonna get us some more coffee! Keep us up for those last few hours!" We were due for another round of coffee so Annabelle collected the cups and the pot.

I watch her pick them up and it isn't the same as it had been the other times. It is slower, as if she is savoring the moment of being there. Her eyes are dull and she isn't smiling or teasing me for drinking black coffee at three am.

"There's a bathroom especially for staff in a hallway off the kitchen. I'm gonna go and wash my hands and everything while the coffee's brewing." Annabelle turns to walk back to the blackened kitchen but stops and comes back to me.

She hesitates for a moment before bending down to my level. Then she kisses me on the cheek. It was so light I could barely tell Annabelle kissed me.

"You're an amazing man, Mick Matthews. Always remember that."

Confused on why she said that now, I jokingly reply,"You're pretty awesome,too, Miss Annabelle."

She just slightly smiles and swivels on feet. Annabelle doesn't have the grace or spunk in her step when she walks back the second time.

I smell the coffee brewing and hear her getting everything set up, not talking. Though not knowing her long, it is unusual. Annabelle then walks away and the bathroom door opens and closes.

The coffee pot dings and Annabelle still hasn't come out the bathroom.

"Hey, Annabelle! What're you up to in there?" I question aloud,"The coffee's ready!"

When there's no answer, I just assume she's still in the bathroom.

Then ten minutes have passed.

"Do you want me to get it ready? Yeah, you're tired so I'll do it," I slide out from the squeaky seat to the other room,"You like it sugar and milk right, babe?"

My eyes widen at the pet name. It just slipped out my mouth smoothly like I've been calling her that for so long.

I smile at the thought of that. It sounded nice calling her that, like she would know she meant more to me than just a girl I came across at a random café.

I stand in front of the coffee maker but there is something off about the set up. There is only one mug and there is no sugar or milk for the way Annabelle likes hers.

With a curious expression, I pick up the coffee mug with one hand and pull out a folded food ticket.

I'm so sorry, Mick

-Annabelle

The cup drops from my hand, crashing to the floor and shattering into pieces.

Still clutching the note in my hand, I race to the bathroom that she said was near here. I find it and start pounding on the door, praying that she's in there.

"ANNABELLE! ANNABELLE! WHERE ARE YOU?" I shake the handle and it bursts open.

The room looks like it had never been used. The soap, sink, and toilet remained untouched. It was too clean to have just been used by a person.