Chapter 20: Comfort

Lilliana's POV

My eyes slowly flutter open, the darkness of unconsciousness gradually giving way to a soft, hazy light.

As I look around, taking in my surroundings, I recognize the familiarity of Marco's bedroom.

A mix of confusion and relief washes over me as I try to piece together the events that brought me here.

The sterile scent of antiseptic wafts through the air, mixed with a hint of something sweet and floral.

It takes a moment for my senses to fully awaken, but I can feel the gentle weight of a plush comforter covering me.

As I turn my head slightly, I feel the warmth of Marco's body pressed against me, his arm wrapped protectively around my waist.

The feeling of his bare skin against mine sends a flutter of warmth through my chest.

His steady heartbeat thumping against my back, a familiar and soothing rhythm.

I shift closer to him, allowing his embrace to engulf me, feeling a sense of security and love wash over me in waves.

As I continue basking in the comfort of Marco's closeness, a sudden jolt of pain rips through my body, centered around my injured side.

The sharp stabbing sensation jerks me out of my momentary contentment, reminding me of the events that led me to this moment.

I let out a soft gasp, biting my lip to stifle the sound, not wanting to wake Marco up with my discomfort.

The pain is a stark reminder of the danger that still lurks outside these walls.

Marco stirs awake, his voice filled with immediate worry as he asks,

"Cara mia , are you okay?" The concern in his tone is evident as he props himself up on one elbow, his gaze fixed on me, trying to gauge the depth of my discomfort.

I try to muster a small smile, but the pain makes it difficult to hide my discomfort. "I'm alright," I reassure him weakly.

As I try to dismiss my pain, Marco instinctively draws me closer, his arm wrapping around my waist, pulling my body into the warmth of his embrace.

The tender gesture is soothing, and my heart melts in response.

A soft breath escapes my lips, and I lean into him, my head resting against his chest, feeling the steady rhythm of his heartbeat against my cheek.

For a moment, the worries and pain seem to fade away, replaced by a sense of security and love.

Marco's voice, filled with a mixture of relief and vulnerability, pierces through the quietness of the room.

"I was so worried," he murmurs, his words carrying a weight of emotion. "I thought I was going to lose you."

The raw honesty in his confession tugs at my heart, reminding me of the depths of his love and concern for me.

I reach up, gently tracing his jawline with my fingertips, attempting to soothe him.

My fingers continue their gentle exploration, tracing his lips with a soft touch.

"I'm right here," I reassure him, my voice filled with a mix of love and determination. "I'm not going anywhere."

As our fingers intertwine, a sense of connection and intimacy envelops us, making me forget about the pain and the world outside.

Right now, in this moment, all that matters is the bond we share and the love that binds us.

"How about we go get some breakfast?" I ask.

Marco responds with a soft chuckle, "Onme more minute please, I almost lost you and I can't lose you again."

His warm breath tickles my ear, causing a shiver to run down my spine.

I sigh contentedly, relishing the feeling of his embrace, and nod in agreement.

"That sounds perfect," I murmur, snuggling even closer.

We stay like that for a few more moments, basqing in the quiet intimacy of our shared presence.

As we make our way downstairs, the scent of freshly brewed coffee and warm pastries wafts through the air.

We enter the dining room, where the table is set with an array of breakfast delights.

A small smile graces my lips as I take in the sight.

Despite the chaos and uncertainty of the outside world, these small moments of normalcy and comfort in our home together provide a sense of grounding and contentment.

Marco's hand gently squeezes mine, a silent cue of his presence and support.

The pancakes, golden and fluffy, sit on the table, their tantalizing scent filling the air.

The maid serves us each a generous stack, topped with melted butter and drizzled in sweet syrup.

As I take a bite, the flavors explode on my tongue, the light, airy texture and sweetness providing a delightful start to our day.

"These pancakes are my favorite," I say, savoring the sweetness and the warmth of each bite.

Marco glances my way, a small smile playing on his lips. "I know," he replies softly, reaching over to brush a stray strand of hair away from my face.

"I asked the maid to make them especially for you."

My smile widens, gratitude and affection welling up inside me.

It's a simple gesture, but knowing that Marco thought of me and my preferences tugs at my heartstrings.

I reach across the table, my hand finding his, and gives it a gentle squeeze.

"Thank you," I murmur softly, my voice carrying the weight of my appreciation.

Marco's fingers intertwine with mine, his thumb tracing small circles on my skin, a silent acknowledgement of my gratitude.

Our eyes meet, and a flicker of surprise passes through Marco's expression as I say, "You know I meant it when I said I love you."

His brows raise slightly, a momentary astonishment at the raw honesty in my words. A slow smile spreads across his face, his eyes warm and filled with affection.

"Of course I do," he replies, his voice tinged with a mix of joy and contentment.

"And you better believe that I meant it too, cara mia. My love for you is something I will never get sick of."

Next part will be up soon!

I love how he's a big softy only for her