Chapter 26: The Secret

Lilliana's POV

Fast forward a month*

As Marco and I sit at our dining table, the candlelight casting a soft, warm glow over us, I can't help but feel a sense of tranquility.

The last month has been a rollercoaster ride of emotions, but now, in this moment, there's a sense of peace that envelops us.

I take a moment to study Marco's face across the table, the way the light dances in his eyes, the slight smile playing at the corners of his mouth.

As I observe Marco, I notice that he keeps checking his phone every few minutes, his expression becoming increasingly distracted.

He tries to hide it, but I can see the irritation slowly building up in him. I set down my fork, a frown creasing my forehead.

"Is everything okay?" I ask, my voice gentle but curious.

Marco looks up from his phone, his expression slightly startled, as if he'd been caught doing something he wasn't supposed to.

He tries to brush it off with a shrug. "Yeah, everything's fine," he replies, his tone a bit too casual as he places his phone face down on the table.

I'm not convinced. He's been acting strange lately, always on edge and checking his phone incessantly.

I can sense that there's something bothering him, something he's not telling me.

I push aside my plate, my appetite replaced by concern.

"Are you sure?" I ask, my voice soft yet firm. "You've been glued to your phone all night."

Marco lets out a sigh, his shoulders slumping slightly. He reaches for his glass of wine and takes a sip before replying.

"It's just work," he mutters, his eyes not quite meeting mine. "There's been a lot going on at the office, and my phone won't stop buzzing."

Work. l inwardly roll my eyes. I've heard that excuse before, and it's starting to sound like a broken record.

I know it's not just work, but Marco's stubbornness isn't helping the situation.

"You've been checking your phone every five minutes," I point out, my voice laced with frustration. "It's like you're waiting for something or someone."

Marco's expression hardens, and a flicker of defensiveness crosses his features.

"I'm not waiting for anything," he snaps, his voice gruff.

"I just need to be available in case something comes up at work." His words are a clear attempt to brush off my concern, to shut me out.

I sigh, frustrated by his refusal to open up to me. "Marco, we both know it's not just work," I say, my voice a mixture of hurt and annoyance.

"You've been distant lately, and this constant phone-checking is making me wonder what's really going on."

Marco scoffs, his irritation growing.

"What's really going on?" he echoes, his tone dripping with sarcasm.

"You want to know what's really going on? Fine. I'm stressed. I'm tired. I'm overwhelmed with work, and my phone won't stop ringing. Is that what you want to hear?"

His words hit me like a punch to the gut. The sharpness and disdain in his voice slice through the air, leaving an uncomfortable silence in their wake.

I take a deep breath, trying to keep my emotions in check. "It's not about wanting to hear anything,"

I start, my voice measured. "It's about communication. You shutting me out is only making things worse."