(V6) Chapter 5.4

AFTER the ordeal was over, I followed Horikita, who in which was following Kushida.

"I suppose you're going with me, Ayanokouji-kun?" I nodded as she called out to Kushida.

"Kushida-san."

Kushida slowly came to a stop. "What is it, Horikita-san?" she asked. Fatigue and exhaustion were written on her face.

"Do you have a moment? I'd like to confirm something with you. But there are people around, so how about we go somewhere else?" asked Horikita.

"That depends on what you want to talk about," said Kushida.

"Ayanokouji-kun will come along, since he's involved in this matter. You don't mind, do you?" asked Horikita.

Kushida didn't answer, but she didn't refuse, either. She checked the time on her phone and nodded. She had probably arranged to meet someone else afterward.

Since there were still quite a few students left in the school, we decided to head to the special building.

"You want to discuss our bet on the final exam. Right?"

"Yes. Though the results haven't been announced yet, we should be able to estimate our scores well enough ourselves," said Horikita. "I'm confident that I scored a ninety-eight or higher. What about you?"

Kushida didn't look surprised to hear this. Rather, it was like she already knew. "Are you recording?"

Horikita pulled out her phone and emptied her pockets. "I am not." 

I did the same thing to convince Kushida.

"I see... well we don't have to wait for the official results," muttered Kushida. "I couldn't have scored any higher than eighty. No, I probably didn't even get eighty. You won the bet, Horikita-san."

"I see." Horikita seemed slightly puzzled by Kushida's low score. "I thought you would have scored higher."

"This is what I am," said Kushida, sounding disappointed.

"Also, regarding the cheat sheet-"

"Yes, I tried placing a cheat sheet in Sudou-kun so you two could get expelled."

"And what about placing one in my blazer."

"Huh?" Kushida looked both confused and surprised. "What are you on about?"

"You inserted a cheat sheet in my blazer during P.E. I don't know if it was the most recent one or if it's been there for quite a while. Regardless, if you had a cheat sheet of Class D's questions in my blazer, that meant you must've known Class D's questions in advance."

"Horikita-san, I only inserted a cheat sheet in Sudou. For the karaoke incident, it was to see if you could see through my act, that's all."

Either way, Kushida lost, so she must follow the rules of the bet.

"You won the bet. Are you satisfied, Horikita-san?"

"So, can I trust that you won't get in my way from this point on?"

"I'll keep my promise, no matter how much I hate it. Do you want that in writing?"

"No need. Even if you're a threat to the class, I want to at least trust you. May we start on that?"  She opted for a handshake.

Kushida stared at Horikita's outstretched hand, her eyes blank. "I hate you, Horikita-san."

"I feel like I'm growing to hate you more and more," said Kushida.

She walked right past Horikita without taking her hand.

"I suppose you need to be taken care of. Whether it be through good deed or force."

"You can try. I said won't do anything to impede you. But I'll never cooperate with you. Don't forget that." said Kushida.

"I see. That's a shame." said Horikita.

"Remember, Horikita-san, the terms of the bet were that I wouldn't get in your way. That's all." said Kushida. The darkness lingering in her eyes seemed to latch on to me.

"That's-"

Kushida left immediately. It was as if she didn't want to face Horikita for even one more second. She no longer had her sights on Horikita, but it might be my turn next. There hadn't been anything in the bet's terms about leaving me alone.

"I should've thought this through more carefully," said Horikita

Kushida wouldn't keep her promise forever. Our presence destroyed her hope for a peaceful future. The most I could expect for the time being was a temporary ceasefire.

_____________________________________________________________

Word Count: 669 Words