Chapter 2: New Agents

For being so eager to leave, Cal sure took his sweet time getting dressed. Sal and Callie waited for him right outside the apartment door, but with each minute that passed, Sal grew more impatient. Just as he was about to barge in and forcefully drag Cal out, he finally opened the door.

Cal still wore his signature yellow-tinted shades, but for clothing, he wore a zipped-up brownish camo hoodie, long black pants, and slender brown boots. Not exactly the freshest attire, but then again, being fresh was no longer the status quo. Surviving was.

After hearing a few choice words from Sal, Callie quickly guided the two brothers through the city. They snaked through alleyways and buildings, taking backwater routes to avoid the parts of town occupied by gangs.

They walked a good bit before finally coming to a stop next to a sewer grate. "This way," Callie ushered. She would then morph into her squid form, slipping through the tiny bars like water.

Sal gave Cal an unsure look, but Cal responded with a slight shrug and a cheeky smile. Sal rolled his eyes before hesitantly following Callie into the sewers, with Cal following right behind him.

Once at the bottom, they shifted back into their bipedal forms to see Callie waiting for them. After both brothers got their bearings, she gestured for them to follow, then turned and led the way.

As expected, the smell wasn't the best. The city wasn't much better, but at least up there it was warm. Somehow, the sewers were freezing cold, even with a hoodie on. Callie didn't seem bothered by the low temperature though.

Considering they were secluded, Sal thought it best to ask Callie a few questions. Anything to get his mind off the horrid smell and frigid elements. "So... C-Callie." He called out, still in disbelief that he was talking to the Callie.

"Yes?" she answered, looking over her shoulder with a soft smile.

"About this secret agent society... Are you an agent too?"

Callie confirmed with a cheery, "Mhm!"

Now something wasn't adding up. "If that's true, why didn't you defend yourself?"

Before Callie could give a response, Cal spoke up. "Hey now, if she was really up against the Sam twins, then you, of all people, should know why. We could handle them any day of the week, sure. But they aren't pushovers." Cal cocked his head to the side. "'Sides, Callie is in her thirties, right? Pretty sure her fighting days are over."

Callie immediately turned around, beaming a death glare at Cal. "I'm not that old!" she huffed, pouting her cheeks. If she was old, she certainly wasn't acting like it.

Cal raised his hands defensively. "Whoa! Didn't mean any offense. I mean, you look good for your age!" He chuckled awkwardly, attempting to quell her anger.

Callie side-eyed him before crossing her arms. "Well, you aren't entirely wrong. I'm not half the fighter I used to be," she admitted with a remorseful sigh. "Either way, I didn't bring my weapon with me, so I was at a clear disadvantage. Even if I wasn't, the goal was recruitment, which I've achieved!" Her mood brightened instantly. "Welcome to the club, Agent 6 and 7." From how she looked at them, Sal could infer he was Agent 7 and Cal was Agent 6.

Callie hummed quietly before resuming her walk. "Hey, wait a second!" Sal quickly walked alongside her. "If we're agents 6 and 7, where are the rest of them?" He questioned, remembering how Callie's plea for help implied she was short on agents.

"Well, my callsign is Agent 1. My cus is Agent 2, but she's MIA."

Cal popped up on the other side of Callie. "Wait, you mean Marie's really missing?"