6. Dreams And Drizzling Forests

The next two and a half hours flew by as they talked and listened to songs together. Finally, they turned in the parking lot, got out, and stretched at the same time. Malaya's face lit up and she laughed at the sight. Aidan looked over at her and smiled when he noticed what she was laughing about. Then he checked his watch and noted, "Quarter past one. Let's go and have lunch, we'll hike to the lake afterward."

"Alright. I'll get my camera after we eat to snap some pictures of the lake." She set two pet bowls on the floor of the van and filled one with tuna and one with bottled water for Edi. Aidan did the same for Irene, replacing the tuna for dog feed. Then he opened all the windows about two inches and waved Irene inside where Edi was already destroying his meal.

Shutting the doors, they both sauntered inside the little cafe and restaurant. In thirty minutes, the bill was paid and they headed back to the van to pick up Edi and Irene, and to get Malaya's camera.

"It's probably a good idea to take some water bottles, too," Aidan tossed one to her after opening the door for Edi and Irene. Then he pocketed a bottle of his own and shut the door. Meanwhile, Malaya pulled a slightly oversized pullover over her head and carefully grabbed her camera out of her backpack. Then she shut her door and jogged around to where the rest of them were waiting by the trail head.

"Oh yeah, this was a good idea. It's perfect weather, too. Just the smallest bit drizzly, and it makes the woods smell so nice."

"What's your favorite territory to be in?" Aidan questioned while they strolled along. Edi was climbing way up tall pine trees and Irene was searching out every rabbit trail along the dirt path.

"Hm, I'd say mountains and pine woods just like this one," Malaya replied.

Aidan lifted up the hat of his sweater over his head before looking down at his best friend in the world, sauntering contentedly beside him with her petite little hands in her sweater pockets. He smiled to himself and looked ahead.

"It would be amazing if I had a house in the woods that had views of the mountains from the windows. We could all live there together; you, me, Irene, and Edi."

"Oh, that sounds really nice. I always wanted to live in a house like that. I'm sure Edi would love having so many trees around, too. We're nearly to the lake, I can see it through the trees." She sped up a little in expectation.

Aidan chuckled and said, "You know, it's gonna stay right there. You don't have to race someone to have a chance at getting there and seeing it." Aidan commented. Malaya laughed and made herself slow down and enjoy the moment.