32. Grief And Regret

(Aidan's perspective)

He woke and sat up, inhaling sharply. 'Where's Malaya?' He looked around. She wasn't in here. He tried talking with her through his stone. Also no response. He attempted to stand up and failed, needing to sit down again.

Beth came in the room just then. She shook her head. "You're supposed to stay in that bed until morning, at least."

"How long has it been since we fought?" He asked, still sitting on the edge of the bed.

"That was two days ago. It's seven in the evening." Beth stated. She went and opened the window to let fresh air in.

"Where is Malaya? Is she still captured?" He gripped the edge of the bed until he heard it crack. He forced himself to let go.

"Get back in bed." She raised her eyebrows. "I brought you broth, so drink up."

He frowned, but sat back and took the bowl. After he finished, he gave it back. "Are you gonna tell me now?"

Beth glanced at him and replied, "She's in bed too, like she should be. She hasn't woken up yet." Then she walked out.

Aidan sighed in exasperation. 'I'm tempted to turn as sarcastic as Edi.' He rolled over and tried to imagine that Malaya was fine and hadn't been hurt at all.

Edi and Irene entered the room. He sat up immediately. Edi sighed. "Dude, any whiter and you'll morph into a sheet. We're supposed to tell you to lay down."

"Well, it's my own decision if I decide not to." Aidan said with finality. He plopped his head on his pillow, however. "Now tell me how Malaya is."

Irene looked at Edi. He nodded worriedly. "Um," Irene fiddled with her charm, "she... she almost died."

"What! How... who..." Aidan sat up again. Edi rolled his eyes. He, at least, was his normal self. Irene began fidgeting harder. She looked at Edi. "I can't, you tell him." Irene pleaded.

Edi regretfully shook his head and responded, "Malaya got burned badly. She's had to have three ice baths already. We just barely got the news that she'll survive."

Aidan went still. "You mean..." He whispered, his voice hitching. "No. Please tell me it was someone else." He whispered hoarsely.

Irene shook her head silently. Aidan lost what was left of his strength and slumped down. If it was possible, he was even whiter than before.

This is what the statue meant. Do everything, but with temperance. It was right there, just what he needed to learn, and he never noticed. Now Malaya was suffering because of it.

"The poor guy's going to faint!" Irene rushed out to get a bag of ice. Edi looked at him worriedly. Malaya couldn't just come and calm him. It was Malaya who was the cause! How were they going to help him?

'It's all my fault. She's going to hate me now.' Aidan moaned painfully, in the midst of his extreme regret. 'And I deserve it.'

Irene came back just then with a small bag of ice. He shook his head through the guilt and regret, but she applied it to his forehead anyway.

"You keep that on until all the ice is melted." She told him. "We'll be back in the morning. If you need anything, press this button." She gestured to a button on the wall right beside the bed.

Then Edi and Irene exited the room and left him alone to process everything.