31. The Last Straw

(Malaya's perspective)

She was brought to the main room, the men surrounding her like before. She was getting sleepier, and she figured it was from Aidan. She began to get over her shock and at least look around, guessing it was better to comply for now and try to escape later, with Aidan's help.

Aidan was scorching the beings, right and left. At least forty of the beings littered the floor. He was in the midst of a ring of fire he had laid around him. Any who got through that were immediately personally singed to death.

The leader's jaw tightened. Clearly, he did not appreciate his army dying in such swarms. He uttered a rough shout to get Aidan's attention. It didn't make Aidan stop, however. He didn't even glance in their direction. Malaya knew he could feel if someone was near his fire so he didn't need to keep watch as much.

Malaya pictured him in her mind and asked for his help through her stone, fear very evident in her voice. She just wanted to get out of there and make sure everyone was okay. "Aidan, I got captured and my wind isn't strong enough. Please help!" She pleaded anxiously.

Aidan's head snapped around, ready to destroy anyone who was standing between them. Then the leader, a satisfied and scheming expression on his face, stepped to the side, letting Aidan see see her, captured, behind him.

Aidan froze for a split second when he saw Malaya, than in an instant he leaped on top of the man holding her arm. He didn't hurt Malaya's arm at all by wrenching her captive away, concerned for her safety even in his wrath. He had sliced the arm off with fire. Malaya shuddered slightly. She never got used to seeing it.

The leader's eyes widened. Malaya could tell the leader was expecting Aidan to relent, quite the opposite of taking revenge. The other two dragged him off of the captor and pinned him down. The leader grabbed Malaya and yanked her across the room with him so the men could fight Aidan by themselves.

That was Aidan's breaking point. They were not going to keep him away from Malaya. His wrath grew ginormously. His green eyes snapped. The sparks flying off his hands turned vibrant green, matching his eyes. His arms ignited with flames in the same, fiery-green colour all the way from his palms up his arms, till they reached the top of his shoulders. He was going to explode. The men on top of him wasted no time in backing off. All three of them were heading down the hallway.

Malaya struggled free, which was easy to do since the leader was becoming very alarmed. He hastily retreated down another hallway opposite the one they came through.

She started running towards him. She had to try to convince him not to do it.
Her mind started racing and adrenaline rushed her entire small frame. Everything seemed slow motion.

She saw Edi and Irene shielding themselves with stone and water. She saw Irene try to engulf her in water but she leaped through it.

Ten more steps. She heard Aidan roar. Her face felt as if it was shrinking from heat. She didn't feel hot at all. She was too busy pouring her attention into adrenaline. Five more steps. Some of the little sparks pinged on her suit, burning small holes in it.

"Aidan! No!" She screamed. But it was too late. A heat wave forced her down. Then a wall of fire slammed her to the other side of the room again.

Her last thought before losing consciousness was, 'The humidity is gone, they're for sure all dead now.'