38. Driving force

Kenji was not talking.

Not to Alarion.

Not to anybody.

He was mad, confused and angry at his best friend's behaviour as of late. It had been two days since the recent attack and the kingdom was back on its feet, like it didn't sway at all.

Avyugh was still under observation, after going through multiple surgeries. Alarion couldn't bear to see his mate in that state, and moreover, he blamed himself, and he wanted nothing else but to be with him. But he knew he couldn't do that.

The need to protect his mate was greater than the need to be near him.

The vampire wouldn't risk it.

He wouldn't rest until he'd muzzled everybody who had tried to attack him. So he leaned back and planned his every move.

Like they say, a tiger hiding, is a tiger waiting to pounce.

Alarion's actions have caused a great unrest among the supernatural world. Now, they too saw him as a threat. The supernatural news was flooded with Alarion's pictures, and all the council members were uneasy with so much display of power.

People were afraid of the vampire.

Everybody were.

Except a few. Like Pierre.

"The glass is cracking," Pierre commented, leaning back on the hospital walls in front of Alarion.

"What?" Alarion muttered.

"The glass," Pierre pointed at the glass in the vampire's hand.

Alarion was drinking blood, but he was gripping the glass so hard that it had started to crack. Then Alarion gave a final squeeze, making the glass fall down to pieces, which was cleaned up by the medic witches in seconds.

The vampire hadn't slept.

He hadn't spoken to his parents.

He hasn't spoken to his friends.

He was at the hospital, waiting for his mate to wake up, so he could see him one last time before he left.

Alarion was leaving.

To right his wrongs.

He might use force, brute force, but he was aware of his actions. He knew well what he was doing, and he had never been more determined in his life. He was going to break the system. Starting with the supernatural council, he was going to make his way up to the human council, and break the system, and threaten them to enforce new laws.

Power was well within his reach.

He'd do that.

He'd do all that, for his mate.

Pierre studied the vampire keenly, with a raised brow.

"What are you planning?" Pierre asked, turning around to look outside the window.

"A lot of things," Alarion replied.

His voice was deep and determined. He was going to make some changes.

Pierre remained quiet for a while before asking. "What do you plan to accomplish, Rion? By making your mate forget things, what good would it do?"

Alarion stood up to join his friend near the window. He stuffed his hands in his pockets and breathed in the air.

"Do you really want to know?" Alarion murmured.

Pierre narrowed his eyes at the vampire.

"Yes. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that you're being so fucking dumb, but I also understand because I'd do the same for my mate," Pierre mumbled, lighting up a cigarette, and blowing it outside the window.