Chapter 6

"Landon, can you get the door? It's probably Owen" Parker shouted. I put my phone down, and got up from the couch, yelling back at Parker. "Yes!"

I ambled over to the door, grasped the cool brass handle, and opened it, revealing Owen who had a backpack and was carrying a small grocery. 

"Oh, hey Lan." He greeted, stepping inside. It still felt a bit weird talking to him, given he was the only person other than Wyatt who knew I was gay.

"Hey," I replied, standing aside. 

"Where's Park?" He asked. 

"In the bathroom, I think. He should be down in a minute." I answered. He nodded, then lowered his voice. 

"Are you, um, going alright with the stuff we talked about last weekend?" He asked quietly, making sure Parker wouldn't be able to hear if he appeared at the other end of the hallway. 

"I think so," I whispered. "He asked me out." 

"Congrats man." He grinned. 

I was going to point out the logistical challenges with us going on a date, but I heard the toilet flush and knew Parker would be on his way towards us soon.

"We should go to the living room," I suggested. 

"Alright." He agreed and followed me there. Parker arrived a few moments later, giving Owen a bro hug and then they both sat down on the couch opposite me. Owen dumped his backpack on the floor and opened up the grocery bag. 

"What've you got?" Parker asked, peering into the bag. 

"Whatever was on special." He replied, pulling out a packet of chips and a few bags of candy. 

"Cheap ass." Parker teased, grabbing two PlayStation controllers and handing one to Owen. 

"Not everyone has parents who trade their presence for an allowance." Owen shot back. 

"It's a win-win for me." Parker chuckled. "Money, and I don't have to listen to them all the time." 

Owen rolled his eyes and sat back on the couch as Parker got up and started the PlayStation. 

I stopped paying attention to them and went on my phone, where I had a notification from Wyatt. 

wyattharris18 - Are you looking forward to tonight?

landonmiller13 - ofc, looking forward to seeing you mostly tbh

It took a few minutes for him to reply. 

wyattharris18 - Same

wyattharris18 - Do you know who is going?

landonmiller13 - guys from the team and some of his friends, which, as I'm sure you know are mostly juniors

wyattharris18 - Ugh, you're going to be the only person I know other than Reed

wyattharris18 - Well I know of a few of his friends, but I don't really know them

landonmiller13 - well you'll be stuck with me then

wyattharris18 - Won't that be suspicious?

landonmiller13 - if we pretend we barely know each other, then I don't think my friends will notice

wyattharris18 - That's annoying, but I get it

landonmiller13 - i know

It was at times like this that it felt most unfair.

landonmiller13 - what time are you getting there? 

wyattharris18 - About 8 I think. Mom and Dad are going to go out to dinner after dropping me I think.