Chapter 16

"I can't believe Mom and Dad haven't stayed up." I yawned. I was in Parker's room, waiting for Sofia's bus to arrive in town. It was still about half an hour away, so we hadn't left the house to pick her up from the bus stop.

"Well, it shows how much they really care about their children." Parker sighed. 

"I hope she isn't disappointed," I told Parker. 

"Hey don't worry about it, there's nothing we can do but be there to greet her," Parker assured me.

"It's been so long since we saw her last," I said, for what must have been the tenth time of the night. "It's gonna suck so much next year when you're both gone." 

"I know." Parker smiled sadly. It lasted for a second before his mouth curled into a grin. "Maybe you'll learn to give your siblings a call every few days."

"I'll call every day," I told him. I knew that wouldn't eventuate, but it sounded like the right thing to say. 

"On second thoughts..." Parker began, but his voice trailed off when I held my hand up threatening to hit him. 

"I wouldn't really do that," I assured him. "You'll have a life and friends, and football."

"Seriously, I would prefer you calling every day over never calling me." He said quietly. 

"Sure you would." I scoffed. 

"I know you think you are more dependent on me than I am dependent on you," He shrugged. "Maybe that's true, but that doesn't mean I would be happy without you." 

I didn't know what to say. This was all the stuff he'd told me before. Stuff I believed. Mostly. He probably did believe it too, at least now, but he could change his mind in the future. Once he got a taste of freedom, who knows what he'd discover. Maybe he'd realize that talking to his little brother a few states away wasn't that interesting. I wouldn't even hold it against him.

At about midnight Parker and I were sitting in his car as the coach pulled into town. A gentle glow radiated from it as it slowly eased into the bus stop, lurching slightly as it came to a stop. About a dozen people were waiting to board it, having spent the day working before heading to their families for Thanksgiving tomorrow. 

We were hosting this year, as we did most years, but none of the family was arriving today. All of my grandparents were coming, as were most of my aunts, uncles, and cousins. It would be a squeeze fitting them all in, but thankfully we have a big house.

The door swung open, and immediately some of the people waiting tried to get on the bus. 

"Impatient fucks." Parker cursed, shaking his head.

The couple who'd tried to board stepped sheepishly off, and the bus driver exited the bus. shaking his head at them. He opened the luggage compartment as passengers began to disembark. Sofia was the second last one off. She collected her suitcase, looking around in an attempt to locate us. 

Parker opened his door and got out. 

"Sof!" He called. 

She spun around, locking her eyes on Parker.

"Park!" She called back, picking up her pace. Within seconds, she was at the car, and in Parker's arms. 

"I missed you!" She cried, holding him, her suitcase an afterthought. After a long hug, she released him and poked her head into the car. 

"Landon!" She scolded, flashing me a grin. "You couldn't even get out of the car to give your sister a hug!"

"Sorry," I mumbled, opening my door. "It's cold out there."