Chapter 8

It had been almost a week since the party, and almost a week since Wyatt had become my boyfriend. I'd told Parker as soon as we'd gotten home, and he'd told me how proud he was of me. I still hadn't said anything to either Mom or Dad, but even if I'd wanted to, I'd barely seen them all week. Parker and I would go to school, and they would be both out campaigning until after dinner. 

I hadn't seen Wyatt since Sunday morning either. We'd woken up before everyone else, still wrapped in each other's arms. After half an hour of cuddling, we'd gotten hungry, and gone upstairs to find something to eat. It was just us for another hour until the rest of those who had stayed over eventually emerged. Once Parker had gotten up, I had to say goodbye, going back to the basement to give him a goodbye kiss. 

We'd talked every day, sometimes for hours. We messaged during school, updated each other on our practices, and called while we did our homework. I'd spent so much time talking with him that when Ben and I were walking to the locker room before the football game on Friday, he asked if was feeling alright, as I'd been absent. I'd apologised and blamed the upcoming election. 

Coach Hudson had told us that there were some scouts from some scouts coming to the game. D2 he'd said, but if we kept playing well and made the playoffs, we might get some from a D1 school. It made us all more determined, mostly for the seniors who might have a chance to get noticed, but also get ourselves on their radars. 

The game began well. Owen passed for two touchdowns in the first half, and Julian ran for another one. The defense managed a shutout during the same period. We were in control. Coach told me that I wouldn't get to play at quarterback as he thought Owen might be one of the players they were looking at. I didn't mind, I'd get my chance. We ran back out onto the field in high spirits, looking to see out another win. It'd been a while since we lost, but we still needed to win the majority of our remaining games to make the playoffs. If we started losing, who knew when it would stop? Momentum. Coach Ramirez always talked about that. 

It didn't start well. The opposition scored a touchdown on their first possession and made the conversion. Then, we lost the ball almost immediately through a fumble. The momentum had definitively changed. 

Grayson tipped the pass from the opposing quarterback, the ball tumbling to the ground. The crowd cheered, and Coach Hudson started barking orders at the offense as we pulled on our helmets and ran onto the field. We advanced up the field, mostly through passes, although I did manage to gain a few yards with the ball. After a good pass to Aiden, we had a first down on the 20-yard line. I took up position, ready to fake a reception, and hopefully buy Owen some time. Parker snapped the ball back to him, and we all made our movements. It didn't take me very long to notice, but Ethan had slipped, and one of the defensive linemen had managed to break through the line and was charging at Owen. The crowd let out a gasp. I stopped my run and tried to stop him, but he brushed me aside, causing me to fall to the ground. There was another gasp from the crowd. I didn't see what happened next, but I heard it. The crunching sound of two bodies colliding, then a thud as they hit the ground. There was a cry of pain, and the crowd began shouting loudly. Some were booing, but they were in full voice. I heard the coach curse on the sideline, followed by the umpire telling the guys who must have piled on top of Owen and the defensive lineman to get off. 

I took a second to regain my breath, then turned to see what had happened. Two of our guys were picking themselves up off the floor, as was one of the opposition, who was pulling a face, and shaking his left hand. It must have been squashed. The lineman who had flattened me was sitting on the ground next to Owen, who was still lying on the grass. I rushed over to him and was followed not long after by a few of the other guys. 

"Are you good Owen?" I asked. He didn't respond, and I noticed he was holding his arm, which was under his body. 

"Owen!" Parker said loudly. "Are you okay?"