Midsummers : Part 1

No One's POV:

JJ is currently at the police station waiting for what is going to happen to him. He took the blame for Pope, he felt bad. There's a phone ringing, mixed in with some muffled conversations. Then the door opens, and out comes Sheriff Peterkin.

"You're like a little rock in my shoe." She tells JJ as she closes the door behind her. JJ leans back and rests his head on his head. "I shake my foot, I think I've gotten it out, then dang, there it is again."

"Maybe watch where you're steppin'."

The sheriff throws papers down on the desk, "That little rock on the back of my heel makes me want to crush it."

"Okay." JJ says hesitantly.

Sheriff Peterkin sits down across from JJ. She opens up the papers to read, "Unlawful discharge of a firearm. Trespass on protected habitat. Felony destruction of property. All in the last two weeks. You're on a roll, chief."

"If you think I'm gonna rat anybody out, you got the wrong idea."

"I know your little teen brain doesn't like to think ahead, but I want you to come with me to uncharted territory." She pauses, "The future. How you gonna feel six months from now, sittin' in juvenile prison in Wadesboro?" She waits for him to respond and gets none. She puts pictures out in front of JJ. "You know these two?" JJ realizes they are the people who were hunting them down. As Pope called them, 'the square-groupers.' Peterkin's voice interrupts JJ's thought, "My question was, do you know these two?"

"They," He looks up at Peterkin, then continues, "they broke into John B's house, and... then chased us through the marsh. Other than that, I have no idea."

"Here's a more recent photo." She pulls out pictures of the two people's dead bodies, all scraped up and ripped. "Somebody gaffed them, then used them for chum." JJ retches in his mouth a bit, surprised by the pictures. "Whatcha think, bull shark. Here's the bad news, chief. Whoever killed these two men is still out there, and I got reason to believe their next target is a friend of yours...John B, and maybe his sister even. You kids don't think you're the only ones after the Royal Merchant now, do you?" JJ looks back up at Peterkin. "And, yeah. I know about that, too."

"Okay, Sheriff Peterkin, I can promise you he's not on it anymore."

"So you say. I'm just tryin' to keep him safe. I want you to tell your friends John B and Charlotte to come in and talk to me, and let's see if we can keep you out of Wadesboro."

Peterkin walks out and slams the door. She goes to the office with the Deputy there. "How'd it go?" Shoupe asks.

Peterkin slams down her papers, "Hopefully, he's not as dumb as he looks. Set up some eyes on the Routledge place. Maybe we'll get lucky."

"Stealth mode on."

JJ comes out of his room to see his father, Luke, talking to a cop. Luke sighs.

"You his guardian?" The cop asks.

Luke responds with, "Sorry to say, I'm his father."

"Well, hearing will be in two weeks. If you fail to show up, you will forfeit your bail. The restitution will be based on the average of three outside estimates of the cost of the damaged article."

"Restitution?" Luke basically interrupts the cop.

"Pay for what he broke." She looks at JJ quickly, who has his head lowered, "It's part of the plea. Yeah, and... sign right here, please."

Luke signs the paper, then says in an angry tone, "Let's go. Go now!"

...

Luke and JJ are walking outside to the care. Luke is the first to talk, "I wonder what restitution's gonna be on a 2019 Malibu."