Nonie

A little you was sitting in the corner of your room. The place you called home was clean and sterile, empty of any unnecessary comforts - not that you knew what the word truly meant. The only source of light was coming from the single light bulb hung from the ceiling, and your bed - big enough to at least fit you - was pushed against a wall, it's thin mattress covered in white sheets.

The walls were bare; you were not given anything normal kids your age had to at least make it seem more than just a prison. It was naked of any type of decoration, no pictures or paintings... just plain grey. And you loved it.

One day, your usual routine was changed. Up until then you had been alone, the only people you talked to were the scientists and Mrs White who came in to see how you were doing and tell you all about the process they were making thanks to you. But that day, you remember the sound of that huge, scratched iron door open and an Hydra agent escorting a girl into the room.

Not a word was exchanged before you and the new person were left alone. To be honest, you were curious but also confused - why did they brought her in all of a sudden? Was she another special girl? Were you not good enough anymore? You didn't like that idea.

You watched as she went to sit on the other corner of the room, her head low, and you spent the whole day listening to her sobbing. Why was she crying, you did not know. How could she cry when she was in the safest place on earth?

Ungrateful. And she was evidently older than you, maybe sixteen or even seventeen - she should have understood her worth already at that age.

In the days that followed, you learned absolutely nothing about her. She never spoke and she spent most of her time confined to her side of the room - she wasn't even given a mattress, and she did nothing to let you know if perhaps she was tired of sleeping on the floor. All you heard were her hums at night, melodies you didn't know.

But for some reason, you liked having her there.

Eventually, days turned into weeks and your curiosity towards her only grew and it almost became an obsession - you wanted to get her to talk but never succeeded. Each day, like a clockwork, the girl was escorted out of the room by Hydra agents and each day, when she would return, her demeanor grew more unsettling.

"And so today Mrs White gave me a candy. She said I deserved it after I found where those criminals were hiding." You said, hopping onto your bed as you stared at her - she was finally given one too, and now she did nothing rather than lay on it as days passed by. "Did she ever give you a candy? The one that looks like a bear - have you ever seen a bear?"

At your questions, all you could hear was nothing except her breathing. There wasn't even a window in there. "Oh, yeah. You don't talk. Mrs White says that when people ignore you, they are being extremely dis- dispec - I don't remember the word she used. But it's not nice!"

Nothing. She didn't even blink, sometimes you had to walk over there to check if she was still breathing. "Whatever." You sighed. "I'll bring you a candy next time I'm done with a successful mission. Maybe you'll talk to me. Or I can steal one - maybe I could. I don't know. What do you think? Do you want a candy?"

Silence.

"Alright. Then I'll bring you one." You smiled at her. "But you need to tell me your name, I can't keep referring to you as the 'new girl', it's been... I don't know. But surely more than a day!"

The girl stayed silent. Her eyes fixated on the ceiling.

"Mrs White says my blood is fundamental for whatever they're working on, you know? We're here to save the world." You continued. "She said there are some people who don't want that, like Natasha Romanoff. The prodigy of the Red Room, have you ever met her? She came here a few years ago and taught me how to shoot properly. And now, turns out that she's been corrupted." You sighed "You're a great listener, at least." You turned around, giving your back to her. Maybe she just didn't like you.