Ugly Truth

The living room of the temporary house you were sharing with Bucky was filled with the scent of burgers and fries, the television was on but the volume was down. You sat on the edge of the couch, absently picking at your food as your mind inevitably drifted back to your argument with Bucky just last night. He didn't even spare a glance in your direction after you stormed out of the room, not that you made any effort to talk to him.

Across from you and Bucky, Sam and Dean lounged in their armchairs, their exhaustion evident in the bags under their eyes. As if they didn't sleep at all, much like you. There was nothing but silence as you ate the last meal of the day, tired after a day of working on the case just to get nothing. No lead, no idea on where this Adam lived since he was the only hope to know more about Cassandra's whereabouts before she disappeared.

You, along with the rest of this weird team, had gone to the hospital where Cassandra worked at and asked questions to her colleagues that were as useless as a fish out of the water. Apparently this Cassandra was not keen to have social relationships outside her family, you had learnt.

Family that consisted in her stepmother and biological father. Mrs Miller was... well, you had already met her. Her father, on the other hand, was not in the picture apparently. No one knew shit about that poor woman's private life and the only resource you had left was Adam - and you hadn't found where he lived yet.

You and Dean, in all of this, hadn't had that talk yet. About why he didn't tell Bucky the truth on what you two had seen at Mrs Miller's house and, most importantly, why he didn't seem fazed about it. You never told anyone about the kind of experiments they did in the Hydra base you were raised at, not even Fury. You couldn't, and for a long time you tried to forget what you had seen with your own eyes.

After you were rescued you figured they'd eventually find out the monsters that were created in there, but you never heard anyone talk about it so you kept your mouth shut. They had told you they rescued every child, teenage and adult Hydra kidnapped and that's what mattered the most to you. Those things were creatures to forget, but you saw one again. And not in your old Hydra facility. No.

You saw it through the window of Mrs Miller's house, and a small part of you suspected that Cassandra wasn't fully dead. You were starting to think she had turned into one of those things and that only meant Hydra was nearer than you thought, but Mrs Miller was nowhere near being the person behind this and she was too far gone mentally to give you a clue about who this person could be.

And you came to the conclusion you wanted to find out yourself. Alone

You decided you wouldn't tell Bucky, nor Sam or Dean. You suspected that the brothers knew something already and that meant they purposely kept things from you and Bucky, maybe even Fury. Or maybe Fury himself was involved but then again, why wouldn't he tell you? You were confused, angry and tired of this whole situation.

"Did you find something?" Dean asked with his mouth full of fries to his brother who was giving him a disgusted look. "What? We're all friends now, no need for manners." He shrugged.

"If you ever had any." Sam mumbled under his breath, before turning the laptop to the general direction where both you and Bucky - and also Dean - could see. "This is a local article about Cassandra's father, Michael Sawyer. It says he was a successful scientist until he disappeared in 1996 when the outcome of his infidelity was left on his doorstep. Cassandra's biological mother was never found, not even to this day. Mrs Miller kicked him out and took the child in, raising Cassandra as her own."

"He suddenly came back in town in 2013, the news spread all over the State. Mrs Miller took him back almost immediately, people believe because she was having financial problems raising her then 17 years old daughter, and he has been nothing but a lovely father and husband ever since." Sam finished, looking at each of you in the room.