Riding the carousel of denial

Layla pov:
(The next morning in the office.)

Funny how when I was a kid, cold and hungry.

I thought, if I could be rich that I'll never experience unhappiness ever again.

Now as a billionaire, not even the warmth of my designer suit can fix the blazed that is chilling my chest.

Ever since I left Veronica's house I'm feeling a certain type of way. I'm sure it's because Darcy turned out to be a waste of time and the fashion show is tomorrow and we three people short.

Maybe I need a smoke? Perfect. It's been a minute since I've puffed on a cigar. A glass of whiskey will also help with this feeling.

The feeling like you lost something.
I can't possibly be inlove with Veronica! There is no way I would be drawn to a cheater who gaslighted me when I gave her an olive branch.

A soft knock on the door brought me back to earth in a hurry. "Come in."
I said and didn't expect to see Veronica's assistant, who walked in and handed me an envelope.

I smirked trying to be indifferent but my pounding heart was louder than the cars hooting on the road outside. I opened it with shaking hands because deep down I knew it was horrible terrible news.

I looked up at the assistant to read his body language, to try and guess what this is about.

"I bet Veronica wants to be paid in her weight for the over time she did."

I said and her assistant grimace immediately, giving away that my guess barely scratched the surface.

"If only money could solve this. As I'm talking to you now, Veronica is probably landing in New Zealand."

Said her assistant looking drained.

I immediately stood up and glared at him with everything that I have.

"I don't appreciate your humor,
Save it for your drinking buddies."

I said holding the envelope with trembling hands. Than I looked at it differently. I tore it open immediately as stress made it's way to my mind in a river of regret.

I got two letters. One has a letter of resignation and the other has a handwritten note. I choked on air taken aback by the resignation letter.

"I'll go get you some water."

Said Veronica's assistant standing up to get me water from the water dispenser. As I had a fit of endless coughs.

I thanked him before downing every drop of that water with watery eyes.
I decided to read the hand written letter first.

(Letter)

My soulmate

Life has drifted us apart to a point where I no longer see the need to try anymore.

I've gone to New Zealand to start a new life and move on with my life.
I wish that you find what you looking for and be happy. I'll always love you but some people are better apart just like us.

I wish I can turn back time to high school. The innocent days where our love was pure and strong, even with the world against us.

I want to help you pick up your fallen books, protect you from bullies and court you again. I want to go back to a time where your mom threw a vase at you and I pushed you aside and took the hit for myself.

Wish I could rewind time and appreciate you. Wish I broke up with Miles the day I met you and stayed true. I'll definitely take the blame for where we are now. For what it's worth I didn't sleep with Chloe.