Wattpad Original
There are 9 more free parts

13

SCARLETT

For some reason, I hadn't thought Roman was being serious when he said that he was going to organise a trip to Port Lou for Erica and I. Of course, Brandon had insisted that he come with us since his mate was pregnant, and Roman also didn't like the idea of us going alone. I was more than okay with that though. It was going to make things a little trickier, but this was my chance.

My chance to leave.

The thought caused my stomach to flip, and I almost doubled over in pain in the middle of the shopping centre.

"You look like you have cramps," whispered Erica into my ear, and I widened my eyes at her, forcing a smile, and the comment made Roman peer at me with concern.

I sensed that he knew something was up. I had always been great at hiding my emotions, but the mate bond had ruined that for me. The easiest thing for me to do was keep my distance. After the ball, I knew I couldn't take any more chances at being discovered and it was making me paranoid.

"Have you heard anything else from Nyx?" I opened up the question to everyone, unwilling to look Roman in the eyes. If I did, I was going to melt. The sadness and uncertainty that swam in them for the past few days broke me. Guilt swarmed my soul.

"Nothing besides a letter to thank us for our attendance," Roman responded, his voice slightly strained. He hadn't enjoyed the ball one bit, but that didn't mean I trusted him enough to tell him what I was. It would be so easy for him to turn on me, and the idea of that pained me more than what I was about to do to him.

It was selfish, but I had been taught to have my back up when it came to everyone. That didn't exclude my mate.

"There it is!" Erica exclaimed, her braided hair whipping me in the face as she turned to me with bold eyes. "The boutique. I'm going to find you a bridesmaid dress there today. That's my goal!"

My eyebrows flew into my hairline, and I tipped my head sideways as I attempted to register what Erica had just said. She laughed, shrugging at me.

"The wedding isn't for another ten months," Brandon said, wrapping his arms around Erica from behind, his hands caressing her pregnant belly that had started to show just the tiniest bit.

"Which means I'm technically behind schedule." Erica's complaint caused everyone to laugh. "Scarlett, you're going to love the rest of the bridal party. I can just tell that you'll get on well."

I ground my teeth together. Erica enjoyed my company enough to make me a bridesmaid at her wedding, and here I was, about to leave without their knowledge - never to be seen again. I felt nauseous.

"I don't want you two seeing the dress. It's supposed to be a surprise." Erica attempted to shoo the boys away, pointing over to a number of different stores down the strip that they could go to. "We can catch back up with you both later on."

Although Roman seemed hesitant, he agreed, slowly moving over to me to tuck a strand of my hair behind my ear. I leaned into the palm of his hand. I couldn't help myself, and I leaned forwards, cupping his cheeks and pressing my lips to his. This was the last kiss I was ever going to have with him, and I forced back the tears as I pushed my chest flush against his.

There was no need to use my powers and manipulate Roman's mind to get him to leave me alone. He was doing it on his own accord because he trusted me, and I was about to throw it right back into his face.

Was I a bad person? Probably. But I was going to have to live with that. Because that's what I would get in return. To be able to live.

I prolonged the kiss before pulling away and shutting my eyes. I didn't want Roman to see the tears building.