Wattpad Original
There is 1 more free part

21

SCARLETT

"Alpha Roman. I'm sorry to interrupt."

The voice caused me to jump, but Roman didn't seem fazed - almost as if he knew the person was there. Aggravation took over his face, and he turned with a grunt, scowling at the guard that stood before us. "Yes?"

The guard dipped his chin, his black hair blowing in the strong wind. "Nyx is at the border. He wants to speak with you."

"Are you fucking kidding me?" Roman growled, his eyes morphing into a smoky shade of grey, the emerald green nowhere to be found.

My blood ran cold and goosebumps pricked at my skin. Nyx was here? Why? I hated the fact that the first thought that came to my head was that Roman had set up something with him to come and take me away.

Stop it. He's not his father.

"Take Scarlett back to the house."

My eyebrows flew into my hairline at the command, and I shook my head. "No, I want to see him."

Roman looked at me like I had just grown a second head, and he waved the guard away quickly, turning to me after he scurried off. "Scarlett, please. I want to keep you safe. Being around Nyx isn't safe for you."

I scowled. I wasn't one to be told what to do. "I want to take down the Enclave Clan just as much as you do. I want to hear what he has to say. As long as he doesn't know what I am, then there's no risk. Besides, you've taken me to see him before."

"That was before I knew what you were," Roman argued, tucking a strand of my dark hair behind my ear. "I can't bear the thought of him hurting you."

"And he won't. I'm not afraid of him." I dragged him in the direction the guard had run off to. My mate appeared like he wanted to argue, but one unimpressed look from me caused him to snap his mouth shut, and he sighed, walking in line with me.

"Make sure your mark is hidden," he muttered from behind me.

"I always do."

Nyx came into view as we rounded the corner and headed further into the forest. The trees arched over us eerily - as if ready to eavesdrop on the conversation. Their leaves brustled in the wind, and eagles squawked from above us as they circled the open area, searching for prey.

I felt like a mouse ready to be snatched up and slaughtered, but I pushed the sensation aside. Confidence was key. I wasn't going to show Nyx I was on edge - that would raise suspicion.

Guards surrounded the tall lanky man. Seeing him again was unnerving. He wasn't dressed in a suit, but in more casual attire. It made him look almost normal - if you weren't aware of the vile and heinous way he treated my kind.

"Roman," cheered Nyx, gesturing to the guards that stood close to him. "Please inform them that this isn't necessary. This is just a casual stop-by."

Roman hummed, nodding at his guards to step down. He needed to remain in Nyx's good books in order to be able to take him down. "They would treat anyone the same. Don't take it personally."

Nyx grinned. "But I'm not just anyone." My mate's arm was wrapped around my waist protectively, and Nyx turned his attention to me, dipping his chin in acknowledgment. "It's good to see you again, Scarlett. You don't mind me stopping by for a quick chat with your mate, do you?"

I forced a small smile - making sure it was polite but not overly inviting. "I suppose it depends on the circumstance of your visit. We were kind of in the middle of something."

This caused Nyx to bellow, and he clapped his hands together, pointing at me. "Roman, you've got yourself a feisty one here. Keep her, I like it."

The comment made Roman vibrate with anger, but he quickly composed himself, taking a deep breath.