0.2 » Near-Death Experience

Joe's POV

I stomped downstairs. Why is life so frustrating? Why can't it be like the movies? Why can't everything work out perfectly? Ugh.

Being with Zoe and Alfie just annoyed me. I don't know why. I had to get them out of my house before I did or said anything I will regret later. I hear a knock on my door. It's Caspar. It has to be. Nobody else would notice that I'm not okay. Nobody else is in our flat, anyway.

"Hey Joe. Are you okay?" Caspar asks me through the door. I silently walk over to my door and sit down in front of it. I bring my knees to my chest.

"Yeah," I lie to Caspar. I think I know why being with Zalfie annoyed me.

They are in love. There is no doubt about it. They are going to get married and have kids. It just fills me up with hope. False hope. It makes me think that I actually have a chance with Caspar. Nothing else sucks more then thinking you have a chance with someone when you don't.

"Joe you're not okay," Caspar says. I can tell he's sitting by my door like I am. I start sobbing quietly.

I keep all of my emotions bottled up. I never cry or anything like that. I just need to cry. And who wouldn't cry when the love of their life doesn't love them?

I quickly wipe my tears and get up. I put a brave face on and I open the door.

"Caspar Lee. I know you care about me. I care about you, too. But I'm fine. I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed," I tell Casp. I can't tell him the truth and this is a decent lie. A believable lie.

"Okay. Want to play FIFA?" he offers. A huge smile appears on my face. I nod. FIFA always makes me feel better.

"Race you to the couch," I say and start running upstairs. I hear Casp mutter something about 'not being fair' or 'cheater' but I just laugh.

I'm almost to the top step. Casp is in sight, just not exactly behind me. I look at his cute face, and next thing you know I trip on the last step and bang my face into the wooden step. I scream. Then, it's all black.

Caspar's POV

I know Joe isn't okay. But he obviously doesn't want to tell me what's wrong. So instead, I pretend to believe his lie and I offer to play FIFA. He nods at my offer. I knew FIFA would work. It always does.

"Race you to the couch," Joe says and bolts up the stairs. I laugh and mutter 'cheater.' I see Joe look at me then laugh. His right near the top step. Then, he trips and he bangs his face on the wooden step. I hear him scream. Next, his body is flying down the steps. I try to stop it, but I can't. It's going too fast.

"Joe!" I scream and bolt down the steps. His body is lying at the bottom of the steps lifelessly.

I run over to his body and move his hair out of his eyes. He has a bruise on his left cheek from hitting something. There is blood flowing out of his nose. That's probably from banging his face on the steps. There is a cut under his right eye.

I start sobbing my eyes out. I get a tear on Joe's shirt. I take out my phone and call the only person I can think of.

"Hey Caspar!" she chirps. I start breathing really heavily. I don't know how to say this. I start sobbing. She probably thinks I'm fucking crazy.

"Casp...what's wrong?" Zoe says in her concerned voice. I take a breath before speaking.

"Me and Joe were racing up the steps and Joe smacked his nose on the top step. Then, he fell down the whole flight of stairs and now he's unconscious," I say, trying not to hyperventilate.

"I'm coming back over with Alfie," Zoe says and then hangs up. I can't stop crying. I don't know what to do. I do the first think I can think of. I get a paper towel and try to stop Joe's nose from bleeding.

"I love you, Joseph Sugg. I won't leave you. But you can't leave me," I say to Joe, not like he can hear me or anything. It's still okay to pretend. I start playing with his hair, since his head is on my lap.

"Caspar!" Zoe shrieks when she sees me at the bottom of my steps. She runs down the steps, Alfie trailing behind her. Her mascara is running. She has been crying. Her eyes are red and puffy, as are Alfie's.

"When did he fall?" she asks, caressing his cheek. I think about how long ago that was. Maybe five minutes. I honestly don't know. I've been crying for a while, though.

"Five or ten minutes ago," I say, in a puddle of tears. I am crying like spongebob, no joke.

"I'll get a wet washcloth," Alfie says and runs to the bathroom. Good thing the bathroom is close to us.

"You're going to be okay Joe," Zoe says, sobbing. All sibling fight. But when your sibling is hurt, you help them. No matter the circumstances. Zoe is such a good sister to Joe. Joe is a good brother to Zoe. Me and Zoe wouldn't be able to handle it if Joe died or got seriously hurt. Or if he doesn't remember anything.

Alfie comes running back with a washcloth. He hands it to me, and I put it on Joe's forehead.

"Zoe, get the first aid kit. It's in my room, under my bed," I say. Zoe nods and rushes in my room.

"Thanks," I say when she comes back with the kit. I take the Neosporin and put it on Joe's nose and his cut under his eye. I put a band-aid on his nose and under his eye.

"Can I have an ice pack?" I ask Alfie. He nods and gets me an ice pack.

"Thanks." He just nods. They both are crying. I hate seeing them so sad, even though I'm crying harder then both of them combined.

"You're going to be okay, Joe," Alfie says. I pat Alfie on his back. I wipe a tear off of his face.

"I can't lose you," Zoe says to Joe. You may think we are being a bit extreme, but we all love and care about Joe. Do you know how many people die from falling down the steps a year? He could have broken his neck.

I would have taken him to the hospital, but there is two reasons I didn't. One; the closest hospital sucks. They are the worst hospital ever. I don't trust them, especially with Joe. Two; that hospital is an hour away. Joe is just better in our hands and care.

As I'm looking at Joe's face, his eyes flutter open.

"Caspar...." Joe says weakly, but I cut him off by pulling his body to mine and hugging him. I feel his arms wrap around my waist.

"Zoe! Alfie!" I scream. Zoe and Alfie were cuddling on the top of the steps. Zoe's head is buried into Alfie's chest. Zoe looks up. She rushes down the steps.

"Broseph!" she yells and hugs Joe. I admire Joe and Zoe's relationship (you know, how close they are as siblings.) Alfie waits his turn to hug Joe. Zoe finally releases Joe.

"Don't you ever scare me like that again, mate," Alfie says, hugging Joe. I hear Joe chuckle.

"I won't," Joe says. He looks at me and smiles. Then he looks down.

That motion gave me too much hope. Why is it that every time Joe does something friendly to me that my heart can't take it? I don't understand myself.

"Do you want us to stay or are you okay?" I hear Zoe ask Joe. Joe lets out a laugh.

"Zoella93629, I'm fine," Joe says, placing a hand on her shoulder. She fake laughs.

"I'll let that one go, only because you just fell down the steps," Zoe says and walks back up the steps. I hear our flat door open, then close.

Today has been pretty eventful so far.

a/n hello best friends. why hello everybody. hello. what's up guys? how you liking the fic? maybe I should never say "fic" again. i have 2 story ideas and I'm deciding what ships to do them in. writing is so stressful sometimes😭 what ship should I do? comment which ship u want. if you like this chapter, it would be amazing if you vote! and maybe comment😏 okay bye! BY THE WAY!! I wasn't planning on updating so soon. my best internet friend Marian made me😭 I love her so much. okay bye now, for real this time.