ANTECEDENT: CHAPTER 4

WAITING to be experimented on in an empty room was a familiar experience for Midnight. It wasn't the first time, and it won't be the last. His life and death were never been under his control since childhood. It was always in the hand of others that he had gotten used to it.

Midnight was indifferent to whatever happens to him as long as his big brother was safe.

At that moment, Silvanus walked in and saw Midnight just lying on the bed, staring blankly at the ceiling. He sighed. "Come on. The injection I gave you would not make you that weak."

As usual, Midnight remained silent. But it did not deter Silvanus, and he continued on. "This is our first day together as patient and doctor. Be a darling and cooperate with me a little, okay?"

Midnight stayed quiet.

"You don't have to do anything, really." Silvanus sat on the stool next to the bed. "You just have to listen to me and talk a bit."

Midnight continued to show disinterest.

Silvanus sighed. "Fine. You don't need to talk. Just listen to me, okay?"

Silvanus pulled out a syringe from his lab coat pocket and uncapped it. Then he explained to Midnight about the liquid inside the syringe, unlike those researchers who experimented on Midnight before who just did what they wanted to Midnight. It was the first time Midnight met a researcher who would explain the purpose of their action, and he found himself listening unconsciously.

"This will help you fall into a deep relaxation and heightened your awareness in less than a minute. Don't worry, I will constantly monitor your brain activity and will not harm you in any way." Silvanus explained solemnly. He was always completely serious when it came to researching the brain. "And then we will talk."

Silvanus understood the importance of trust for a positive result, but it couldn't be rushed. It takes time to build and nurture.

No matter. It is better to start building trust now rather than later.

Once the liquid was administered to Midnight, the 'patient' finally spoke. "Is this hypnosis?"

Silvanus lifted his eyes to meet Midnight's gaze. "Do you have any experience with this procedure?"

Silvanus figured out the truth without Midnight needing to respond. Silvanus believed that Midnight had undergone hypnosis, given the condition of his mind. He just didn't know the number and duration.

That was why Silvanus had no other plans for this hypnosis other than to talk to Midnight and listen. He worried that any 'suggestions' made during hypnosis could cause significant harm to Midnight's brain, resulting in severe consequences.

He had to figure out what had been done to this unwilling patient of his first.

On the other hand, Midnight felt himself sinking into a deep relaxation. The feeling was something Midnight recognized. His brain had become accustomed to it happening to him countless times. Therefore, he willingly shut his eyes and surrendered to a state of tranquility and ease.

By the time Midnight had sunk into deep relaxation, Silvanus was already prepared and holding the tablet with zeal.

"Are you comfortable, Midnight?" Silvanus started the conversation with this. He wanted it to be laid back, but Midnight reply made him feel complicated.

"That's not my name."

Silvanus froze for a second before continuing normally, as if he was not caught off guard. "Is that so? What should I call you, then?"