ANTECEDENT: CHAPTER 7

ONE MORNING, Dominick announced at the dining table at breakfast, "we're going to bathe the horses." Midnight was not surprised anymore when he was dragged into the stables. He didn't know how to bathe a horse, so he listened to the butler's instructions before starting.

"Night, don't scare the horse." Dominick laughed when he saw the horse neighing and backing away from Midnight, as if scared.

Midnight helplessly looked at the horse. "But I'm not doing anything..."

Klaus held back his laughter. "Little lord, horses are sensitive. They could sense your mood and the energy around you."

Energy? Midnight looked down at his own body and an imperceptible frown made its way to his eyebrows. "My mood... is calm."

Klaus was extremely amused, and he couldn't help letting out an amused chuckle when Dominick patted Midnight's head and said, "kid, you have a murderous aura on you. Have pity on the horse, okay?"

Midnight backed away.

Dominick frowned at Midnight. "What are you doing?"

With an expressionless face, he said, "Showing mercy."

Klaus laughed, and Dominick could only shake his head. They then let Midnight help in some other way.

Dominick glanced at Midnight, who was seriously cleaning the horses' manure. "Look at that kid. His face looks paralyzed. No emotion whatsoever."

Klaus glanced at Midnight as well. "At least he didn't seem as distant as before."

Dominick let out a sigh. "That asshole father of his did not even look for him. What kind of father is he?" He shook his head and clicked his tongue, irritated. "At first I only want to help this kid since he helped my princess, but now I'm getting invested."

Klaus felt the same way. Living in the same house and seeing each other every day, it's easy to develop a strong care and affection for the kid. "Do you have plans for him, my lord?"

Dominick pulled his gaze back and returned his attention to the horse in front of him. "The trial for the Orgánosi's continental boss of North America is about to start in a few months. If there's a positive change in his complex brain, I'm planning to help him take the position."

"Are you certain, my lord? Doesn't the fourth Arkhon wants Midnight to have the position for connection?"

"That's why I said if there're changes in his brain." Dominick continued washing the horse. "I can't protect my daughter forever, Klaus. A time will come that I will not be there for her anymore. I need to gather good people around her to protect her." He sighed. "I don't want her to join the Orgánosi and take my position. That would be my last resort to keep her safe."

Klaus nodded. "Then I will monitor Midnight's session with Silvanus."

"Hmm. Thanks."

Midnight, who was oblivious to Dominick and Klaus' conversation, continued cleaning the horses' manure. He only stopped when Happy arrived to bring them refreshments.

When Happy handed him a few wet wipes and then sprayed his hand with hand sanitizer, Midnight felt something move in his chest.

A passing thought that he didn't take seriously came to his mind, Maybe if I have a sister, she'll be like Happy.

"Kid, come here." Suddenly, Dominick called him.

Midnight walked over to Dominick and stopped in front of him, not saying anything.