ANTECEDENT: CHAPTER 10

MIDNIGHT was taken to a hospital, and Silvanus was called to the hospital by Dominick. The three were tense while waiting for the result of the examination. But Happy had to go home first to rest, as she was recuperating and also needed to take care of the cat.

After sending his daughter home, Dominick wasted no time and hurried back to the hospital.

"How is he?" Dominick asked Silvanus when Silvanus entered the private room. "Why was he in so much pain? Is he okay?"

Silvanus sighed and handed the result to Dominick. "He's physically fine. It's the side effect of the psychotherapy."

"Then should we discontinue it?" Klaus filled with concern.

Silvanus shook his head. "I can't decide that. We have to wait for Midnight to wake up and ask him if he still wants to continue."

Dominick nodded. "Then let's do that."

Silence fell, and the three looked at Midnight, who was still unconscious on the bed.

Dominick sighed and turned to Silvanus again. "How's his therapy?"

Silvanus shrugged. "Honestly? They messed him up so much that I don't think he can fully recover from it."

Dominick's forehead furrowed. "Those bastards..." He gritted his teeth. "Are there any other options we can do to undo what has been done to him?"

Silvanus shook his head, his expression grim. "There's no undoing what has been done to him. It's not just months of hypnosis but more than a decade of indoctrination and brainwashing. What must take root has already taken root. Even he, himself, didn't want to go against his father even though he knew how." Silvanus let out a loud sigh. "Even though he's cooperating now, that doesn't mean he would not go back to his father and be the perfect little soldier once again. He was made to follow orders and to be loyal."

Dominick clenched his fist. "You mean, even if we treat him nicely and connect with him, he will still go back to that asshole father of his, even though he knew he's being abused?"

Silvanus nod with a sigh. "He was made that way."

Dominick burst in anger. "No one is made that way, Silvanus! We all have our own free will! If he fought harder, he will be free from those bastards!"

Silvanus shook his head and calmly explained to Dominick. "Midnight's brain does not work that way, Dominick. His free will has been slowly stripped off of him since he was a child. What was left of it—a miniscule amount—was used for his everyday life. To be a functioning person. That's it. He's not like you and me. He was experimented on, and he can't decide for himself unless it was for his day-to-day life. You know why he is cooperating? Because his brain perceives that the psychotherapy does not pose a threat against his father. You understand now?"

Dominick fell into silence. His expression was dark, as if he wanted to murder someone.

Klaus fixed the skewed blanket covering Midnight, his expression sympathetic. "Is there really nothing we can do to cut that connection? It's not healthy for him."

Silvanus hesitated at first before he sighed and answered. "There is... but it's full of risk and there's a chance of relapse."

The entire room fell into silence. Then suddenly, Dominick spoke. "Is it dangerous?"

"Yes." Silvanus gave it straight to Dominick. "Very. If a relapse happens, his brain may not be able to function properly. In short, he might become unhinged."